Real Estate Update

I literally had 7 sets of 3/8 drive standard sockets. Everything from Snap-on, Craftsman Husky. feel really good about purging and what the kids don’t want will get a FB and CL listing. I’ve come to realize a lot of the tools and items I used when I was working will seldom if ever get used again. I have so many doubles and triples of power tools, bits, fasteners, concrete anchors, blades lol I can almost open a small hardware store. It’s scary but I’ve created enough room to almost get a car in there again. Lol It will definitely hold a few bikes more comfortably now.

This winter I've been frustrated in getting much done because there are too many damned bikes in the workshop. I really blundered when I laid out the plan, I should have done it differently. Too late now, a remodel would be a major demolish and rebuild task and I'm not up to that any more.
Anyway, as is usually the way of these things, it resolves into a Chinese Puzzle. To create space I have to find a place to stash three bikes and the unfinished kitchen will do for that.
That will allow me to get on with using the garage/workshop for storing my daily rider and clear a huge amount of floor space for working on engines and one other bike.
I'm sick of opening the door and having to step over stuff and bumping into stuff, then having no room to do much.

This winter I've been frustrated in getting much done because there are too many damned bikes in the workshop. I really blundered when I laid out the plan, I should have done it differently. Too late now, a remodel would be a major demolish and rebuild task and I'm not up to that any more.
Anyway, as is usually the way of these things, it resolves into a Chinese Puzzle. To create space I have to find a place to stash three bikes and the unfinished kitchen will do for that.
That will allow me to get on with using the garage/workshop for storing my daily rider and clear a huge amount of floor space for working on engines and one other bike.
I'm sick of opening the door and having to step over stuff and bumping into stuff, then having no room to do much.
I understand your dilemma. Same here.

Bigger shop doesn't help.
Ten years ago,
shed4.JPG

just as crowded, slightly different stuff today.
:sick:

Bigger shop doesn't help.
Ten years ago,
View attachment 233475
just as crowded, slightly different stuff today.
:sick:
Me: 2100 sf shop, 1000+ sf, attached garage, 24ft container, 10'x10' shed and a 22ft long enclosed trailer and I still don't have enough room. To be fair, the 2100 ft. shop is my business shop and my wife's car takes up a stall in the attached garage, but I've still got a lot of junk, 'cuz you never know when that corroded 3/8x1" bolt will come in handy, not to mention those rusty rotted ratchet ties.

I have decided that with my varied interests that 3 bikes are enough for me. I don’t have a shed of ill repute to store things but my trailer of questionable reputation is always full. Yes I was moving stuff around to make room to work. No longer! I have 7 parts organizers to go through and believe it or not I’m close to done! An example of the “stuff” collected over the years.image.jpg Looks good on the shelf but contributes absolutely zero to shop activities.

Pete I would be very interested in knowing the temp of the liquid going into the floor.

Me too! I've got one of those el-cheapo infrared thermometer gun thingys - I will see if I can find it and get a reading on the fluid temperature.

I am pretty sure it is between 100 and 200 deg. F - I cannot imagine they would superheat a working fluid in a little system like this.

I will report back.

Pete

......now where the he!! did I put that thermometer thingy?

Opening Day! After three weeks and much eliminating I fired up the machines for a couple wood projects, I gave my step-son my job site tablesaw which has been in the attic for 2 years and had to make him a custom push stick and I also had to make a rack for my pipe clamps which were usually stored overhead where they were always an inch or so away from coming down on me. Between my 2hp stand mounted dust collector with a 2 micron filter and my overhead unit which I run on medium speed which is about 900 CFM through a 5 micron filter followed by a 1 micron sleeve I had
practically no dust on the bike covers. Plenty of floor space with more to come once I rearrange the bike parking a little bit. Overhead unit also did a pretty good job of circulating the heat from my two small heaters. I can sit at either work bench, wood/lathe side or tackle a project in the MC shop. I also took back $70 in returns to Home Depot, $63 in returns to Lowes and got $60 from scrap. Amazing how crap accumulates. All the returns were odds and ends from different jobs or projects and some were just a nut or a bolt still in the package.

Opening Day! After three weeks and much eliminating I fired up the machines for a couple wood projects, I gave my step-son my job site tablesaw which has been in the attic for 2 years and had to make him a custom push stick and I also had to make a rack for my pipe clamps which were usually stored overhead where they were always an inch or so away from coming down on me. Between my 2hp stand mounted dust collector with a 2 micron filter and my overhead unit which I run on medium speed which is about 900 CFM through a 5 micron filter followed by a 1 micron sleeve I had
practically no dust on the bike covers. Plenty of floor space with more to come once I rearrange the bike parking a little bit. Overhead unit also did a pretty good job of circulating the heat from my two small heaters. I can sit at either work bench, wood/lathe side or tackle a project in the MC shop. I also took back $70 in returns to Home Depot, $63 in returns to Lowes and got $60 from scrap. Amazing how crap accumulates. All the returns were odds and ends from different jobs or projects and some were just a nut or a bolt still in the package.

Great post WW and so glad to hear about that push-stick!

As for returns to Home Despot - yup, I'll likely have a couple of hundred dollars worth of stuff to go back too. Its a good thing I've got the receipts and they take stuff without a fuss.

Just a quick update on my garage space. Although it hasn’t been cold lately, hovering around 0 to -5C, I’m happy to report the spray foam I had done in the fall is working really well. With no heat input for the past 4 days, the inside of the garage is remaining at +5C to +7C. I bought a meter to measure my energy usage by the heater and can keep an eye on heating costs (will eventually mount it in an enclosure).

C983FF29-BD80-49C6-97B9-1EB421B05CF6.jpeg

Right now, at the higher rate I could pay, electricity costs me $.141/kWh. Also ordered a wifi thermostat for the garage so I can monitor and control temperature from my phone. Gotta love technology.

Just a quick update on my garage space. Although it hasn’t been cold lately, hovering around 0 to -5C, I’m happy to report the spray foam I had done in the fall is working really well. With no heat input for the past 4 days, the inside of the garage is remaining at +5C to +7C. I bought a meter to measure my energy usage by the heater and can keep an eye on heating costs (will eventually mount it in an enclosure).

View attachment 233694

Right now, at the higher rate I could pay, electricity costs me $.141/kWh. Also ordered a wifi thermostat for the garage so I can monitor and control temperature from my phone. Gotta love technology.

Thats a neat little rig Vic - where'dja get it?

Pete

Back