Real Estate Update

Better pic.
upload_2021-7-23_13-1-31.png

OK - after an extensive search and several failed deals, wifey and I have bought a home out in Essex County near the small village of Harrow and sold our big family home in Windsor. The new place is on four acres and there is definitely room for a pole barn.
The deals close on Sept. 15 and Sept. 23 respectively so we will have a bit of overlap to avoid the looney "where is all my stuff" period between sale and purchase.
Now I need to speak with the local Mr. Pole Barn construction guy - and wait for lumber prices to drop some more.....
What the heck, its only money.
Pete

Hi Pete,
congratulations on moving to 4 acres in the country.
Your motivation for collecting Polish people aside, best you house them in a bunkhouse instead of a barn.

Heck I thought the reason our lumber prices were so high is that it all comes out of Canada which has been closed, Hmmmmm, Someone's lying

Oh come now - a government lie to its own people?

Perish the thought my good man......

Actually, and not to be political here...:rolleyes:.....but the reason that your softwood lumber is so expensive is that the US lumber industry keeps b!tching to the US government about our softwood prices and they slap tarrifs on the wood coming across the border. Those trade actions have happened about once a year for the last 20-30 years - and when they go to court (and they always do), the US government has lost every single time.

The point is that we have more trees than you folks (so our wood is a cheaper) - and your industry cannot keep up with demand (so you need our wood) - and so you always eventually buy them - and the eventual loser is invariably.....you.

Write your congressman today!

Oh come now - a government lie to its own people?

Perish the thought my good man......

Actually, and not to be political here...:rolleyes:.....but the reason that your softwood lumber is so expensive is that the US lumber industry keeps b!tching to the US government about our softwood prices and they slap tarrifs on the wood coming across the border. Those trade actions have happened about once a year for the last 20-30 years - and when they go to court (and they always do), the US government has lost every single time.

The point is that we have more trees than you folks (so our wood is a cheaper) - and your industry cannot keep up with demand (so you need our wood) - and so you always eventually buy them - and the eventual loser is invariably.....you.

Write your congressman today!
Pretty knotty subject there Pete. I wood tread carefully though... you might have stumped some people, but I saw right through your rant. Don't take me for a sap buddy. I've plyed myself with too much coffee today... sorry, dint' mean to bark at ya.....

:laugh2:

Last edited:
Congrats!
Everything in the US is expensive right now because everyone's raised their prices to make up for lost revenue due to Covid. The thing yet to be seen is if those prices ever go back down to reasonable rates. (I'm kind of betting they won't completely).

I too have been researching pole buildings for my mini homestead. We have a great mini barn (14x28 shed) but you know how it goes, the more storage you have, the more shit you collect. The wife has been talking about one too. If I play my cards right, I can let her design it like I did the shed and before I know it we will have a new barn…

Superb DE!

I was in touch with the pole barn contractor yesterday and we’re talking. I will need to get approval from Senior Management for this….oh oh.

Well the subtitles do say 95% of the material is all pre-cut so that saves a bit of time. Also I guess if one was to presort all the parts and have them staged for each section that would save some time. Also as it is being assembled on a nice slab with possibly the holes for the bottom plate bolts also pre drilled that saves some time.

But I agree this would not be likely for the first time builder working alone.

Just got the last "inspection" prior to getting power hooked up. Scheduler says "should happen in a week, two at the most".

Got the oil tank in place and plumbed and ran the conduit and power for the furnace this morning.

If I have the ambition after my nap (possible, but I wouldn't call it likely...) I'll run the conduit and wire for the air compressor. That'll complete the portion of wiring requiring conduit. I'm gonna run the welder outlet right below the breaker box, so no conduit needed.

Got a few more things done while waiting on the power guys:

hotshop22.jpg

hotshop23.jpg

Finished hanging drywall, got most of the ceiling trim up, built the main bench along the South and West walls. Oil tank is in place and plumbed and wiring run for the air compressor and furnace.

The shop press won't live where it is (obviously...) I'm waiting until I move some of the big stuff in to determine final position.

Plan A is for the alcove to be mostly storage for parts and supplies. Looks good on paper, but we all know how that works...

Back