Real Estate Update

Ah. At least it's based on sound logic and not some busy-body's subjective opinion.

(If you couldn't tell, I would live in a refrigerator box before I'd submit to an HOA...)
Same here. I can understand somethings like not mowing lawn at 5:00AM, but when they tell you what color and style mail box you have that's BS!

Despite having some problems with nearest neighbor we are lucky to not, at least when leaves are on trees, to be able to see another house from our property. Maybe a couple time a year we are blessed with the farmer spreading "you know what" on the fields to the east but that smell goes away in a couple days. At least it comes from cows and not pigs! Our place circled in red.

our place.jpg

Same here. I can understand somethings like not mowing lawn at 5:00AM, but when they tell you what color and style mail box you have that's BS!

Despite having some problems with nearest neighbor we are lucky to not, at least when leaves are on trees, to be able to see another house from our property. Maybe a couple time a year we are blessed with the farmer spreading "you know what" on the fields to the east but that smell goes away in a couple days. At least it comes from cows and not pigs! Our place circled in red.

View attachment 221765

Wow! You can’t even see your neighbors! I can see at least 10 other houses while sitting at our kitchen table! 😄

View attachment 221765
I'm in about the same situation. I love it. After being out here for 16 years, I could not live in town.

I'm in about the same situation. I love it. After being out here for 16 years, I could not live in town.
I get a kick out of comments made on some of the home improvement shows, like when they comment on a house being large lot then they say it is 1/4 acre!

In the picture I posted right about where the "Google" is near the bottom would be our rear border. Then if you draw a line straight at the house to the left from the "G" then from the right rear corner of neighbors house straight to the road is the back and side of property owned by my ex-wife who now lives in B.C. Canada and gives us free range to do what we like like cutting firewood on her land. So between our land and her's we have just under 10 acres to use as we please!

I get a kick out of comments made on some of the home improvement shows, like when they comment on a house being large lot then they say it is 1/4 acre!

In the picture I posted right about where the "Google" is near the bottom would be our rear border. Then if you draw a line straight at the house to the left from the "G" then from the right rear corner of neighbors house straight to the road is the back and side of property owned by my ex-wife who now lives in B.C. Canada and gives us free range to do what we like like cutting firewood on her land. So between our land and her's we have just under 10 acres to use as we please!
My wife grew up on a dairy farm in Chautauqua County. I've been across your state and it is beautiful. We have 11 acres, can't see my neighbors, although they are great. Everybody minds their own business, yet they've got your back. The only thing loud around here is the occasional kid on a dirt bike/4 wheeler and gunshots. Everybody around here has their own shooting range. To quote that great sage Oliver Wendell Holmes Douglas "Take Manhatten Just Give Me That Countryside".

Last edited:
...interior decor...hmmmm.

I haven't made many decisions yet. The steel cladding for the walls and roof arrived today at about 11:45 and by 12:00 noon, the crew was here installing it. I'm excited!

P_B-24.JPG

First the soffits and fascia - all around the building...

P_B-25.JPG

P_B-26.JPG

...and about 40 minutes later, half of the roof is on!

P_B-27.JPG

I'll keep you posted.

Pete

Last edited:
Wo
...interior decor...hmmmm.

I haven't made many decisions yet. The steel cladding for the walls and roof arrived today at about 11:45 and by 12:00 noon, the crew was here installing it. I'm excited!

View attachment 222082

First the soffits and fascia - all around the building...

View attachment 222083

View attachment 222084

...and about 40 minutes later, half of the roof is on!

View attachment 222085

I'll keep you posted.

Pete
Your guys work so quickly. Around here it would take a month to get that much done! Looking good!

Wo

Your guys work so quickly. Around here it would take a month to get that much done! Looking good!

Indeed - it has been exactly 1 week today since that piece of land looked like this.....

P_B-1.jpg
P_B-2.jpg

....the guys moved those big boulders and the three evergreen trees further toward the road and then they began building at about 8:00 AM on Wed. Aug. 10 - and now, it looks like this

P_B-28.JPG

The man-door and windows are installed:

P_B-29.JPG

...and here is the view from halfway to the road.

P_B-30.JPG

The guys tell me that they expect to have the entire exterior cladded today.

Next Step: the floor and in-floor radiant heating pipe installation.

Pete

So, you pour a concrete floor next? I'm not sure why the "pole barn" rather than having the building constructed on a slab. The only time I've seen this is when a friend of mine converted his old pole barn into a shop. I'm curious.

Indeed - it has been exactly 1 week today since that piece of land looked like this.....

View attachment 222151View attachment 222152

....the guys moved those big boulders and the three evergreen trees further toward the road and then they began building at about 8:00 AM on Wed. Aug. 10 - and now, it looks like this

View attachment 222154

The man-door and windows are installed:

View attachment 222155

...and here is the view from halfway to the road.

View attachment 222156

The guys tell me that they expect to have the entire exterior cladded today.

Next Step: the floor and in-floor radiant heating pipe installation.

Pete
Looking Good
You lucky dog

So, you pour a concrete floor next? I'm not sure why the "pole barn" rather than having the building constructed on a slab. The only time I've seen this is when a friend of mine converted his old pole barn into a shop. I'm curious.

Good question Marty - a Norwegian buddy of mine asked exactly the same question yesterday and here is my response to him:
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

That is why is it called a “pole barn”. While this part of Canada has a "Carolinian" climate (about like North Carolina in the US) it still gets cold enough to freeze the ground and yet, the building will not have a basement unlike virtually all houses in Canada. Since, the building foundation must be built deeper than the frost penetration, the structure must be based on heavy wooden posts, or "poles", that are set deep into the ground on concrete bases for stability. I guess this has been found to be the fastest, most durable and most economical building method for this climate.

The construction process is interesting: the first step is to bore 60cm. (24") dia. holes about 1.5m (4 ft.) deep on 2m (8') centres around the building perimeter - and then a pad of concrete is poured at the bottom of each hole. About 24 hours later, the crew inserts a 20cm x 20cm x 5m (8"x8"x 16') long, heavily pressure-treated wooden post down each hole and then they stand it up vertical with bracing. The frame of the building is built using the poles as a base and the roof trusses are lifted into place (by hand) to complete the wooden frame of the structure. Finally, the steel outer wall and roof cladding and the doors and windows are installed (that is what is happening today - one week after they started).

After all the cladding and the roof are on, an excavation guy will come in with a small machine (likely another BobCat) to dig out the grass and topsoil to a depth of about 125-150mm (5-6 inches). He will put down about 150mm (6") of gravel topped with 75mm (3") of styroam insulation. Then, a plumbing contractor will install the in-floor radiant heating pipes and pressure-test them - and finally, a 10cm (4") concrete cap will be poured over the whole floor area to seal and complete the shell of the building.

This coming autumn, as money ( :yikes: ) and time are available, I will have the contractor come back to finish the interior ceiling with the same metal cladding as used on the outside walls and roof (except that the ceiling will be white in colour).

After that, the electrical/plumbing contractor will run the gas and electrical services to the building from the house, which is only about 4m (15 ft.) away from the barn. Then, I will have insulation blown in the area above the ceiling and insulate the walls with fibreglas bats (I'll do that myself), install a vapor barrier and finish the rest of the interior. Finally, I will do the interior electrical wiring and gas installation for the in-floor heating system boiler - and move all of my stuff from the garage to the new pole barn.

Pete

This is going to be such a nice building, well deserved! 👍🏻 Will there be any sort of driveway to the entrance Pete? Gravel or otherwise?

Back