gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
reserve is already met.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271800693137

$_57.jpg

1971 Yamaha XS-650. VIN: S650010517. Amazing bike. Vintage time capsule. 5408 original miles!! Bought from original owner. Totally original bike in every detail!! Have you ever seen one this nice that is original and unrestored? I have not. The bike belongs in a museum somewhere. I cleaned the carbs and tuned it up and it runs like a swiss watch! It really did not need anything when I bought it except a little cleaning. It was ridden gently, stored correctly and pampered its entire life. I had heard about this bike from a friend and I finally tracked it down and bought it. Original tool kit still under the seat.

Yes, you are looking at the original paint, chrome, and all components are the original components to this motorcycle. This is not a restoration. It is real.

I think you would be hard pressed to find another 1971 XS-650 in this kind of condition. The bike starts, runs, rides to perfection!! I have ridden it 18 miles and it is exactly as described. You will not be disappointed. I have included 24 high definition, SUPER-SIZED eBay pictures for you to examine in great detail so you can be your own judge. CLICK ON THE PICTURE YOU WISH TO VIEW, THEN, WHEN IT COMES UP, HOVER YOUR MOUSE OVER THE PICTURE AND IT WILL AUTOMATICALLY SUPER-SIZE FOR GREAT UP CLOSE DETAILS!!! : PAY PAL ONLY. PLEASE HAVE AN ACTIVE PAY PAL ACCOUNT BEFORE YOU BUY. $500 non-refundable earnest deposit due upon auction end and balance due within 3 days of your receipt of of my Invoice on Pay Pal. ANY OTHER TERMS MUST BE CONFIRMED WITH ME PRIOR TO BIDDING.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR INTEREST IN MY YAMAHA XS-650 AND GOOD LIKE AND HAPPY BIDDING. RESERVE IS SET VERY REASONABLE.

PLEASE ASK ALL OF YOUR QUESTIONS PRIOR TO BIDDING. PLEASE EXAMINE ALL PICTURES CLOSELY AND DETERMINE FOR YOURSELF IF YOU ARE SATISFIED WITH WHAT THE BIKE LOOKS LIKE. THE PICS WERE TAKEN ON MARCH 10, 2015. ALSO, PLEASE REQUEST ANY ADDITIONAL PICS IF YOU NEED TO SEE ANY CERTAIN PART CLOSER. THANK YOU.

SHIPPING: YOU, THE BUYER, MUST MAKE YOUR OWN SHIPPING ARRANGEMENTS AND PAY FOR YOUR SHIPPING OR PICK UP THE BIKE YOURSELF. I WILL BE HAPPY TO KEEP THE BIKE STORED FOR YOU FOR UP TO 60 DAYS IF NEEDED.

$_57 (1).jpg

$_57 (2).jpg

$_57 (6).jpg

$_57 (14).jpg

$_57 (16).jpg

$_57 (12).jpg

Attachments

• $_57 (1).jpg
    $_57 (1).jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 235
  • $_57 (2).jpg
    $_57 (2).jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 247
  • $_57 (6).jpg
    $_57 (6).jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 227
  • $_57 (14).jpg
    $_57 (14).jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 237
  • $_57 (16).jpg
    $_57 (16).jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 233
  • $_57 (12).jpg
    $_57 (12).jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 215
green eyes of envy..why dosnt bikes like this crop up in oz..let alone at these prices..will be intresting to see what it goes for..might have to win the lottery and go to the us with a large container

Wow wish I had the money for that! Google maps says it's only 9 hours and 30 min from me. What do you think it'll go for?

This bike was just listed in my town this past weekend on craigslist for $2500. Looks like someone snagged it to flip. The seller is technically not the 2nd owner..still a nice bike...and kicking myself for not calling as soon as I saw it.

Yeah I'm with the 6K guess.
Ouch that for 2500, someone left a pile of cash on the table.
TX yammy, bend over so I can kick you in the butt for not hustling!

Yeah...I hear ya :) The thing was sitting a few miles from my house. Was hoping to buy it and sell my beloved 73 TX650 :)

Wow, that is indeed one clean example!
Maybe it's the way pics appear on my tablet, or something else, but these little nitpics have me concerned:

The gold colors don't seem to exactly match.
Can't quite put my finger on it, but the tank pinstripes seem odd, especially the way they terminate at the back.
The clutch cable is mis-routed, its elbow seems a little too straight.
The front brake cable is mis-routed and shows strange chafing.
The throttle grip housing has the throttle cables pointing forward, not down, and mis-routed.
The nylon wrap for the left handlebar wiring is missing.
The half-moon washer for the rear chainguard mount screw is upside-down. (No, it's ok).
The rubber boot for the neutral switch is missing.
The round taillight lens (versus the semi-rectangular one) is always a questionable item.
Right footpeg bracket is mysteriously rusted. Left isn't?
Turn signal mounts strangely twisted downward.
Front turnsignal wiring not routed thru rear forkear clamps.
Right sparkplug boot weatherseal not fully seated.
I don't see the sound-deadening dampers in the head fins. My other XS1B, a slightly later s/n, has them.

There may be more, but my tablet doesn't bring up the pics very well.

Last edited:
Yes, she's been "prettied" up. Take a close look at the wheel pics. Looks like the spokes have been painted silver.

Glad I bought my '70 last weekend before this one got posted!!

I seem to have a weakness for these early ones, lol. :thumbsup:

Now Vince if your eyes weren't dazzled with that beauty you picked up on the weekend you may have had two new ones in your shed???
I haven't got a XS1B back here in Sydney in my line up.
Hmmmm.
Gold Paint on tank is a different gold than the rest of the tin ware on the bike.
You could be right about the spokes they do look touched up with silver paint.
That N***S440 pushes up allot of his bids on other sales of bikes he lists.
Strange when N***S440 wins the bike is relisted back on EBay.
I think he is testing the market.

Last edited:
My gold XS-1B is original paint and it is discolored somewhat between the gas tank and side covers.

The tank is a lighter shade of course, the headlight ears are a mix, and the side covers are pretty close to new shade.

This is because the original owner lived in California, worked at an airport (Read: little to no shade) and rode the bike quite regularly to and from work daily, letting is rest in the sun hours at a time.

Don't get me wrong, it still turns heads, but I am torn about whether or not to get the tin ware completely repainted to its factory luster, or leave it "original".

What say you?

Vinnie my take on this is that you should keep the original paint. Start watching for the tin find some that's been repainted or is really f-d up and have that sprayed with a new job. Both for the fun of a survivor bike and I feel ultimate value the stock paint wins, maybe not now but in 10 or 15 years. Also it's easier to actually ride survivor paint than fresh.

PS thanks and two thumbs up. gggGary

That's a good idea on the tin ware Gary.

Those darn gas tanks are getting rare as hens teeth now days though dang it!

I really do hate to desecrate the original paint, that's for sure..."They're only original once" as they say.

Vincent keep it original .
A restored bike may look brand new but is no longer original.
It is never worth the amount as its original counter part.
Collectors of bikes and museums always have their selection of unreplaceable original bikes and because of this these bikes are looked on as very rare.
Gary's idea of having a set of fresh painted tinware is a good idea if you want it to look almost new.
But stick the original tinware back on and to many you have a very rare original bike that just leaks attention and history.

Vinnie: tanks are dime a dozen compared to finding a set of original paint 71 side covers. And I'm not holding out for pristine, just fairly presentable. I have everything else for a "survivor" paint 71 now. One day I will find those.

Vinnie: tanks are dime a dozen compared to finding a set of original paint 71 side covers. And I'm not holding out for pristine, just fairly presentable. I have everything else for a "survivor" paint 71 now. One day I will find those.

Man, I wish they were a dime a dozen.

I need to find a restorable XS-2 tank for my 72 that I bought last summer.

It had a terrible 70's custom paint job on it that the original owner wanted to keep for sentimental reasons.

I figured with the good price he cut me on the whole bike ($800), what the hell, let him keep the tank.

Since then I have yet to find a decent restorable tank anywhere!

Couple years ago I passed on one that even had decent XS-2 paint on it for a dirt cheap price....but at the time I didn't have an early XS's to put it on.

What the hell was I thinking?? lol

Back