Real nice 71 on flea bay, grab the popcorn xs1b 1971

Call that 70 custom paint guy back maybe he now realizes how ugly it is?
Yeah the tanks aren't easy I seldom let one out of my gasping claws once it lands here.

I do have one that is perfect not a dent on it, except it has about 100 tiny rust holes, danged thing looks like a disco ball if you shine a light in it!

Unbelieveable!

It appears that there may have been some significant sniping at the end.

Attachments

• 1971-Auction.jpg
    1971-Auction.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 167
I have mixed feelings.

Sure, it's nice to see the value of your stuff rise.

But the prices for spares will probably go up too.

And, watch out for an eBay flood of oddball '71 XS1B parts, like starter parts and hydraulic brake parts...

True enough...hell, it's already pretty ridiculous the way prices are on spares right now.

Just try finding a decent gas tank for an early bike now days.

With the conversion rate and bank charges on the exchange, it would have cost over $10,300.00 Aus and then there would have been freight, possibly another $2000.

Thats $12,300.00, Hell won't get that for them here.

I have mixed feelings.

Sure, it's nice to see the value of your stuff rise.

But the prices for spares will probably go up too.

And, watch out for an eBay flood of oddball '71 XS1B parts, like starter parts and hydraulic brake parts...
Gee, I could really use some hydraulic brake lines for the 71 I just brought home.
Any one have a spare radiator cap?:laugh:

With the conversion rate and bank charges on the exchange, it would have cost over $10,300.00 Aus and then there would have been freight, possibly another $2000.

Thats $12,300.00, Hell won't get that for them here.

Yes Crazy Price 650Skull.
For me to import that bike into Sydney Australia $13200.00 Australian .
Would I, NO as I could bring 4 bikes in for that price.
Could I sell the rarer XS1 here in Australia in that condition and that price , NO

Last edited:
Yup, I was kinda shocked, but it is THAT time of year in the northern hemisphere.

He mentions several of them.

Rims, headers, mufflers, bars, fork area wiring loom covers, tank emblems. I'll assume paint, seat cover, grab bar, probably rear shocks, gas cap, turn signals. Many nuts and bolts.

72 looks nicer, he shows the SNs on that bike which makes me wonder about the 71....
it should loose the crash bar and that dorky tail light guard

I'd love to add that XS-2 to my collection for the perfect Tri-Fecta, but that price is a bit outlandish and the paperwork sounds sketchy as well.

I'd a been better off buying the XS-2 that was on there the other day with the extended forks and unknown running condition....it went for $900 something in the end.

I'd love to add that XS-2 to my collection for the perfect Tri-Fecta, but that price is a bit outlandish and the paperwork sounds sketchy as well.

I'd a been better off buying the XS-2 that was on there the other day with the extended forks and unknown running condition....it went for $900 something in the end.

Vincent I could just image that Fleabag XS2 sitting amongst your bikes .
It would have certainly stuck out :thumbsup:

The guy who is selling the Bikes is well known in the Motor bike industry and a top spanner man for setting up GP bikes.
Chris Redpath of MotoGP Werks
Both Bikes are on his Face book site.

https://www.facebook.com/motogp.werks

Abit about Chris

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/05/30/chris-redpath-motogp-werks-mechanic-and-fabricator/

The S/N of the '71, S650-024848, is just a few above mine, S650-0244xx, making it one of the later XS1Bs with the 6-hole XS2 tensioner.

But, have another close look at the carbs and seat pan. I'm even suspecting the battery tray.

And, there's more...

On the XS2 he states the bike was "never titled in the US". So how does that work, can it ever be titled?

After reading the comments in the motorcycle wold article and checking out the last post it seems that Chris Redpath may embellish the truth a little or lot .....I reserve my judgment on how trustworthy he may be...........not saying he can't tune a bike

Last edited:
Yeah, he says "Bill of Sale" will be provided with the XS-2.

That and a couple of bucks will get you a cup of plain coffee here in Washington State....you certainly wouldn't be able to license it, let alone show ownership in your own name.

No, for that price I wouldn't want to deal with the headaches.

Okay, the additional knocks on the XS1B.

The carbs are not '71, look to be sandblasted 72-73.
The seat pan isn't '71, it has the larger recess to clear the larger 72-73 battery.
Still not sure about the battery tray.
The instruments are not '71, they have the larger/rounded bezel rims of the 72-73.

Pretty big knocks for authenticity.

Nice bike, tho...

Back