Rear Axel Nut TORQUE

dubepj

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Found some info on that and it says 108.5 ft. lbs. Seems excessive to me. Is that dry or lubed threads. My bike is a 1984 SK with the 16 in. rear wheel.

Yes, it is quite high. I think I tried it once and had trouble getting it that tight, so I don't really bother checking it, I just make it tight. It's also rather silly to give a torque spec as a single value on a part that needs the nut aligned for a cotter key. Chances are that if torqued to spec, the cotter pin holes aren't going to line up. What is needed here is a torque spec given as a range, and after checking the torque charts in just about all the factory manuals, I found one. The torque spec chart for the '77D model is about the best I found because ALL the specs are given as ranges. I use it the most .....

UwdyxX1.jpg

Now that I discovered a range value for that axle, I have checked it with my torque wrench set at the minimum of the range (about 87 ft/lbs) and it meets that. I don't know exactly how tight I've got it but I know it's tight enough. I always lube the threads (anti-seize).

It's pretty hard to screw this up. When you have the axle nut aligned with the cotter pin holes and semi-tight, you know it's got to be tighter so you tighten it up to the next slot in the nut. That takes 1/3 of a turn on the nut and by then it's very tight, tight enough to meet (or exceed) the minimum torque in the spec range. Like I said, I never checked mine for years but when I finally did (after I found the torque spec range), I found I had been making it tight enough all along.

Back