Rear axle position with a new chain.

weekendrider

Iron Horse cowboy
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Since we now have several members running the 77-79(standard) stock exhaust how do you measure the axle position? The mufflers cover the axle so measurment from a set point to center of axle is impossible? The cast markers on the swingarm are reliable? Measuring from the rear block to the adjuster (the gap) reliable? Measuring the length of the adjusters bolt, reliable? After it is set adjusting by the number of flats you tighten the bolt is a piece of cake, but getting the initial starting point what is your plan of attack?

The muffler isn't in the way on my '81, but if it was I think the marks would be visible from above. Especially if you rubbed chalk in them. Or you could extend the marks to be visible from above. The marks seem to me to be accurate enough. It doesn't seem to be supercritical. If you're going to be real careful about chain tightness it seems to be best to do it on the side stand. I've had careful adjustment on the centerstand be too tight with shocks compressed.

What I used to do on some shop bikes, or new-to-me bike, was to get down behind the bike and eyeball sight the edges of the rear wheel, relative to the edges of the front wheel. Adjust 'till the rear wheel aligns with the front. THEN, note, or re-mark, the rear axle adjuster hash mark. They're not always reliable.

Some folks do this with lumber, or RoyBoy's trick of using 8' fluorescent tubes...

Back