Rear drum brake set ups.

Blake73

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi all my be a silly problem but got a 18inch rear wheel and id like to go with a drum set up for brakes instead of disc.

What i wanna know is the hub for a 16inch rim and the hub for a 18inch rim should fit the same brake drum set up?
Tell me if im wrong or right.

If the hubs have the same number of spokes, interchanging rims should work. You'll just need the proper spoke set to re-lace the different rim to the hub. If it's an odd-ball rim, you might need a custom set of spokes. Try Buchannon's (sic). They can match almost any rim to any hub, and their bits are top-shelf. I'm kinda confused by your question, though. You should've included pictures. There was only one size of rear brake shoe for all the years, and Yamaha never had a spoked wheel/disc brake set-up on the Xs650. Good luck. :bike:

No thats alright you've actaully answered my question.
I wanted to know if the drum size was the same no matter the size of the rim itself. Regarless of changeing spokes or not.
Ive bought a 18inch rim but need the drum set up and wondered if the the drums where the same between and 18inch rim and 16inch rim from factory

18" rear hubs take 36 spokes. Yamaha made two different 16" rear hubs. The Heritage Special hub and rim took 48 spokes, all other models used 36. Buchanan stainless spokes are great, I've used them for years. Because stainless is not as strong, Buchanan spokes are thicker than OE, and holes in the hub must be enlarged slightly to fit them.

Thanks for that info griz.I did not know that about stainless. And I was going to get the replacement SS spokes from MikesXs. I suppose with all the time I'm going to spend cleaning, polishing, and overhauling the wheels and hubs for "The Basketcase", reaming the spoke holes won't be that bad :shrug:

Tebo, I don't know anything about how the stainless spokes from Mike's XS are made, I've used only Buchanan spokes. Mike's may not bother to increase spoke diameter to maintain strength; their parts aren't exactly known for meticulous engineering, which is why I avoid them when I can. But right, enlarging the holes a bit won't pose a problem, and you might consider spending a few more bucks for the good stuff. Buchanan includes protective lubricant that prevents galling between spokes and nipples with instructions on how to apply it. I doubt that you'd get either from Mike's.

Back