Rear Sets

halfmile

XS Builder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Bought these the other day just for the hell of it. I don`t think these had ever been mounted and I can see why. The holes for the mounting plates that go on the original foot peg studs were "off" slightly. A little sanding and the fit (sorta). Needs a little more filing to be correct. I sat on the bike and instantly decided their not my cup of tea. I`m way too old for these. At least my knee`s are.:shrug:
DSCN0196-001.JPGDSCN0197-001.JPGDSCN0198-001.JPGDSCN0199-001.JPGDSCN0200-001.JPG

Nice look 'in rear sets though. I have a set on an RD; the rear sets don't bother me (yet), it's my hands and wrists that don't like the pressure from the leaning forward. I switched from clubmans to flat drag bars: not much better. Still working on it....
s-l1600 (3).jpg

20220610_175139 (2).jpg

Bought these the other day just for the hell of it. I don`t think these had ever been mounted and I can see why. The holes for the mounting plates that go on the original foot peg studs were "off" slightly. A little sanding and the fit (sorta). Needs a little more filing to be correct. I sat on the bike and instantly decided their not my cup of tea. I`m way too old for these. At least my knee`s are.:shrug:
View attachment 225707View attachment 225708View attachment 225709View attachment 225710View attachment 225711
I recently thought a set of rearsets give you all the hardware you need to move pegs back and underneath your body mass. I would think a bit of 6061 1/4 plate, a few cuts and some drilling and you would end up with the pegs low enough and far enough back to have a slightly more sporty but not cramped position. Just cut and retread the linkage rods to fit.

Nice look 'in rear sets though. I have a set on an RD; the rear sets don't bother me (yet), it's my hands and wrists that don't like the pressure from the leaning forward. I switched from clubmans to flat drag bars: not much better. Still working on it....
View attachment 225716
View attachment 225717
Have alloy plate cut to drop the pegs an inch or 2 (3?) and maybe a little forward, and go with CB400 SS or CB550 SS bars with 2-3" rise. ??? Lifting your torso, keeping feet underneath your body mass and not tucking you into a pretzel. Seems a cheapesh experent.

go with CB400 SS or CB550 SS bars with 2-3" rise. ??? Lifting your torso
Yes, I think I will try another set of bars. They'll likely need rolled backward a little bit to clear the fairing at the master cyl. (already changed from pic - lower now). That may also help relieve the pressure. 👍

Yes, I think I will try another set of bars. They'll likely need rolled backward a little bit to clear the fairing at the master cyl. (already changed from pic - lower now). That may also help relieve the pressure. 👍
I am not fond of wide bars (except on a dirt bike) so I tossed out my Honda Super Sport suggestion. Sometimes 1 or 2 inches in any direction makes a world of difference. Caveat emptor....

On the XS, it is very difficult to get kickstarter clearance for brake pedal/ toe peg with the foot pegs where I like them, just about midway between the OEM mounting studs. The set that JP showed in those first pics are way too far back for a good, active street riding stance. While the stock pegs are too far forward.....
With the pegs too far back, your body weight seems to be supported by some rather delicate body parts.......

Agree with Arctics comments. My opinion if you could relocate midway or just below the front stud would be much more comfortable. I had a set of OldSchoolSpeed rearsets in the past but the were too far back too. This set looks very similar. But yes the interference with kicker and brake pedal was a problem. I didn’t like the folding peg solution so I went back to stock.

I got just the pegs and controls, before they offered the plates. There is a clearance issue both with the stud dome nuts, and the Kickstarter. I made my own plates, replaced the dome nuts with 12 point flange nuts, and also ground/ filed down the inside of shifter and brake pedals. Then the brake pedal barely cleared on both sides

The rear set I have is OSS. Their instructions require the kick start lever to be heated and bent in 2 places to clear the brake pedal. Before I sell these I`ll heat and fit a start lever to go with them.:thumbsup:
19-0301_figure6.png

Have alloy plate cut to drop the pegs an inch or 2 (3?) and maybe a little forward, and go with CB400 SS or CB550 SS bars with 2-3" rise. ??? Lifting your torso, keeping feet underneath your body mass and not tucking you into a pretzel. Seems a cheapesh experent.
Hey TW, I followed your suggestion and installed a set of CB400F bars. I think they may be the answer👍 Forecast 70* tomorrow and hope to try 'em out:D
20221009_215054.jpg

Hey TW, I followed your suggestion and installed a set of CB400F bars. I think they may be the answer👍 Forecast 70* tomorrow and hope to try 'em out:D
View attachment 227340
I do hope that is a good fit for you. It is a cheapish experiment. My CB550ss bars are drilled for internal wires. Because of that I strap my bike down with hooks on the upper or lower triple tree so as not to put too much pressure on the bars. A petty concern of mine.

Back