Rear wheel axle stuck?

JosephP87

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So I’m trying to remove the rear wheel so I can replace the brake shoes but it seems like the axle is stuck. I remove the brake line I remove the axle nut the cotter pins I moved the rear will forward to get a chain off but the axle won’t come off. Is there something else and I’m missing

No, with the nut off, the axle should come out. Maybe try a brass drift and a few smacks.

Try putting the axle castle nut on backwards so not to damage the axle threads and give it a couple of good wacks. Don't go crazy it may have welded itself to a bearing.......

tim

Yeah I put the nut back on and sprayed penetrating oil on it and letting it sit. Maybe later tonight it will come free or ill let it sit overnight and try again tomorrow.

Can consider to hit it on the other end a bit since the wheel is moved forward it can be possible to get movement inwards
loosening it.
I would have a 2x4 piece wood in between and hit with a hammer on the wood not the bolt on both sides

Well I hit it knocker loose ALOT and still nothing. Won’t budge. Any other tricks you may have? Almost on the road. Trying to put the new shoes on in the rear did the front brakes already changed the filters and oil. Everything is wired but my rear turn signals and brake light bit that won’t take very long.

When you sprayed it with penetrating oil was the bike on the stand? You may have to lay it on its side to get it down in there. I’ve never had one that wouldn’t come out so at this point you are probably gonna have to wail on it with a big hammer and a nice chunk of wood. How smoothly does the wheel spin when it’s on the center stand? As mentioned by Timbeck it may be welded to a bearing which means they may have to be replaced also.

It was on the center stand when I started and then I propped it on it’s side with a few wheels holding it up to let it slid through the bearing. I’ll have to keep going at it after work. It spins fine when on the center stand also.

What about adapting a slide hammer to bolt through the hole in the boss "head" of the axel. At this stage of the game you are probably going to be lucky not to damage the axel or the bearings getting the axel out.

Mushroom the end and it will never come out. Buy a pair of standard nuts to screw onto the end. Lock them against each other. Now, go after it with a 5 pound sledgehammer.

I would alternate and hit it from both ends. I would put the nut back on the threaded end, as mentioned, but still put a block of wood against it.

Post # 10 and Post # 16
Sounds as a plan

Put it on the side insert oil and let it be there for days even if possible heat and hit it on both ends with wooden
blocks
Heat / Oil / Force --but force can destroy expensive things
Does the bolt spin ? if a pipe wrench is used on the non threaded head side ??

Back