Rear wheel bearing question?

KevC

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi all
My XS passed the MOT today :thumbsup: but had an advisory of slight play in rear wheel bearings.
Now the question is do I need to buy the rear wheel oil seals (no idea what condition they are in until, I strip it down) if I use 6304 2RS and 6305 2RS (rubber shields) modern bearings :confused:
Cheers Kev

I just replaced my wheel bearings with some standard 2RS bearings, my seals looked like they were in good shape and i opted to re-use them. All depends on their condition, but defiantly wouldnt hurt replacing them. Be careful not to damage them when you pull them out.

- the lhs seal - 35-62-9 - seals on the spacer...a flange in the brake plate locates into the rhs seal - 27-52-5 ...when your bearings are already presealed these seals will be a good xstra barrier...if you bought all at a bearing shop, rather than a parts dealer you would get better prices, the seals are not expensive...the downside to shielded bearings is you cant clean and repack them

Cheers guys
Thought the original bearings may of been ZZ type, making the seals necessary. I can certainly get the bearings much cheaper from a bearing supplier.
inxs... can I source the bearing seals this way too?

- bearing handlers deal in seals too, i dont think these are yamaha specials

- SO 27-52-5
- SD 35-62-9

Cheers inxs
just had a quick look online and best I could find were
27-52-8
35-62-9.5

If you use "RS" (rubber seal) type bearings, you can (and should) pop the seal out to add grease. The "lubed for life" bearings have very little grease in them. Basically, this means any new bearing you buy. Pop the seal off one side and add grease. Don't fill the bearing, it will only ooze out when it heats up. Grease one side only, filling the bearing about half way. I use a needle attachment on my grease gun, giving a squirt between each set of balls on one side.

NeedleAttachment.jpg

Back