Rear wheel removal

1981special

XS650 Member
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg

Hello, I am new to the forum and very new to messing around with motorcycles. I believe I took off all of the necessary components in order to hammer out the axle so I can get a new tire but it won’t budge. Is there anything I’m missing or anything I can do to make it easier? The front one came out fine by the way.

Welcome!

It looks like the centerstand is still up do you have weight off it? Next, will the brake drum rotate a bit?

Might want some penetrating spray onto the brake backing plate/spacer area. Get weight off, put nut on to protect threads and give it a wack with a steel hammer and see if it will move some.

Welcome!

It looks like the centerstand is still up do you have weight off it? Next, will the brake drum rotate a bit?

Might want some penetrating spray onto the brake backing plate/spacer area. Get weight off, put nut on to protect threads and give it a wack with a steel hammer and see if it will move some.
Yes, the center stand was up but when I was hitting it with a hammer it was down and there was no weight on it. But I have all the components off, I just need to fight it out?

Yes, it must be stuck pretty good. Try some PB Blaster - or equivalent - both sides and lots of it soaked-in before more force

Place a long straight rod through the hole in the right end of the axle and turn/rotate the axle. When the axle will turn, then hit the threaded end. Protect the threads as best you can, like with a block of wood in addition to the nut in place. A good solid rubber or rawhide mallet should be all you need.

Yes, it must be stuck pretty good. Try some PB Blaster - or equivalent - both sides and lots of it soaked-in before more force
image.jpg

Let it soak, still nothing. I don’t know what this metal bracket that sits on the thread is for, should I try and take it off, if yes how do I?

The chrome thingy is a chain adjuster and they sometimes will bind a bit if they get cocked on the axle. I fear, though, that the axle is stuck on the brake panel or the bearings. Axle nuts are cheap and easy to replace, axles not so much, so avoid damaging threads if possible (may not be). Big steel hammer.....

One time, at band camp, I had to remove the wheel with the swingarm and put the whole affair in a hydraulic press.

I'd try to put the chain adjuster back where it goes for now. The adjuster on the other side is the one that typically causes the issue of binding

Last edited:
What JP said, put the adjuster back on so the axle is good and straight in the frame. I like to leave the castle nut on the threaded end and slowly unscrew as the axle moves further in. A block of wood over the castle nut will also help further protect the threads. Once you get to the point of less than half the castle nut being threaded, time to remove it. Then a steel rod carefully placed in the center of the axle tends to do it. My experience has been once you get it that far, it usually comes out.

What JP said, put the adjuster back on so the axle is good and straight in the frame. I like to leave the castle nut on the threaded end and slowly unscrew as the axle moves further in. A block of wood over the castle nut will also help further protect the threads. Once you get to the point of less than half the castle nut being threaded, time to remove it. Then a steel rod carefully placed in the center of the axle tends to do it. My experience has been once you get it that far, it usually comes out.
I have a heavy rubber mallet but it’s not doing the trick. I’m taking it in the shop next Thursday so they can fix everything else that I can’t but I’d like to have the new tires on before then.

Sounds like it really needs to soak in some actual penetrating lube (not just oil) overnight and try to find a steel hammer for tomorrow - it may need the extra shock that only a steel hammer will impart.🤞
00245703.jpg
49152778.jpg

Last edited:
Place a long straight rod through the hole in the right end of the axle and turn/rotate the axle. When the axle will turn, then hit the threaded end. Protect the threads as best you can, like with a block of wood in addition to the nut in place. A good solid rubber or rawhide mallet should be all you need.
Yes, something through that hole(I like a long Phillips screwdriver) that you can whack on and try and get the axle to turn. Maybe a couple of good hits on that side to jar anything loose. I just had to get an axle out of one I’m working on and it was the hardest I ever had to deal with but patience and keeping your cool and not screwing up those threads is crucial. Make sure the nut is threaded on until it’s almost flush as you can bend the tabs between the grooves if you hit it hard enough. Ask me how I know……

You might try a two jaw puller gripping the back of the swingarm with the center pushing the end of the axle. Put some tension on it(you don't want to go overboard and bend the swingarm) then get a deep socket or a piece of tubing that will fit over the opposite axle end and smack it with a hammer.

Place a piece of 1/4" or thicker aluminum flat stock against the threaded end of the axle. Place a blunt bit in the old air chisel, crank the air pressure up to 100 lbs + and just get it over with.:thumbsup: If you ruin the threads in the process axle`s are dirt cheap.:shrug:

Actually, the best way is to take the time to pull the swingarm out and take the whole lump to a press and push it out, no parts ruined. Good time to service the swingarm pivot, if the PO let the axle rust in place he most likely neglected the swing arm too.

Back