Reassembly of selector drum and forks

Shakey

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Just checking while on my first engine rebuild for a while: replacing the selector forks and drum to the upper c/case half. With the selector forks located on their shaft, shaft located in far side of case, drum inserted (and located in the needle roller bearing on the far side), I inserted the drum with the neutral detent 'dimple' facing the plunger location (down as I was looking at it). The fork pins slotted in easily.
Some questions -
1) is there anyway of having the drum in the 'wrong' position and the pins therefore sitting too far (or not far enough) round their respective grooves? I have turned the drum and the forks seem to be moving ok;
2) the manual (Haynes) shows the pins comprising a stepped pin and follower that slots in each drum groove. Mine has solid pins, no followers. Is this a later model modification?
3) the manual also suggests that the pins have a locating hole, presumably that the split pin goes through to lock it into the fork. Mine don't have holes so I have seated the pins down into each grove and locked each split pin through the requisite fork pin hole. The pins are therefore 'above' rather than through the selector pins - can any of you see a problem with this.
Appreciate your time and thoughts:thumbsup:

1 no 2 yes 3 shown as cotter pinned thru the shift pin in the parts fiches but they changed the setup over the years, how many miles/klicks on your machine? what year? if it ran like that before no reason it wouldn't work ok again

Thanks for the reply - its a 79 with just over 25 grand on the clock. It did indeed run fine before. Quite a fiddle getting the split pins in!

the 79 show the cotter pins going thru the shift pins but who knows 79 was the first year for the Specials :wtf: (AKA Yamaha goes crazy) old saying if it ain't broke don't fix it, unless you like screwing with stuff just for the hell of it :laugh:

"unless you like screwing with stuff just for the hell of it"

I guess that's why we ride xs650's - ha!

Back