Rechop: The Lanesplitter Project

Little update here. The clutch cover has been bothering me for obvious reasons. That gold vinyl is an insult to xs650's everywhere, and that was some of the stickiest shit I have ever dealt with in my entire life. Anyway, I trimmed down the cover a bit so it doesn't look like it should still mate up to a swingy frame, then stripped the paint, sanded and polished.

yby4ahed.jpg

5u5uze7y.jpg

apybuzub.jpg

qagatuhe.jpg

I had to push this bike out of my shop for a while. I've got a kz650 I have to rake and hardtail but hopefully I can knock that out quickly and be back on the xs.

I received a lot of parts in the mail today.

4y8yhe7a.jpg

I installed the hardware of the Pamco E-Advancer and shot a little ether, it fired right up. Now I just need to wire in the electric part of it so it will actually advance. I found a wiring diagram for that, I'll post it up in case anyone else needs it.

ane5udem.jpg

This is great news because the po told me it had a blown head gasket, but after finding the mech advance broken I suspected that was the only problem. Now I know that to be the truth.

First start:

After that I plugged the two vacuum ports on the carbs, something I forgot to do for the first start, and it ran way better. It will most likely need cleaning and rejetting of the carbs but at least it runs.

AtoXS mailed me some ignition covers for free when he realized I needed some... Which was awesome.

asy7uqeq.jpg

I plan to build a new wiring harness for this bike to get rid of that rats nest.

I mocked up the rear fender about where I want it. Now to build the mounts, ifi can come up with a decent idea how...

panumy2e.jpg

e3y2a2er.jpg

I worked on getting my front wheel on today. Had to turn down the axle then turn a spacer to flesh it back out inside the fork leg. I got it mounted up. I just need to turn the spacer for the other side yet..

9yvata6y.jpg

y5adevag.jpg

bapyja4a.jpg

Ya I got this one off a good dude on chopcult. He gave me a screaming deal. Wheel cleaned up really nice too. I'll have to make my own brake pull arm because it's missing but that's the only thing wrong with this wheel...

I got my rear wheel and a new tire. I can't seem to find anything wider than a 4.00-18 and I didn't get the tread I wanted so I'm not real tickled with the result. I need a different fender too.

je2a6aqa.jpg

y4ysa3e3.jpg

ejevyzuj.jpg

I turned some solid riser bushings and the start to my riserless handlebars.

6u5y9utu.jpg

ype3ajy4.jpg

I received my new pipes from Jumpstreet Customs (livingdeadmc) and got them installed along with the mufflers.

puny6uve.jpg

4e4adyva.jpg

I cut up two xs650 front fenders and mated the rear parts of both to make my new rear fender. I'm having a bit of a block coming up with a nice mounting solution so I haven't mounted it yet...

7uvesu4a.jpg

e3e5yra5.jpg

And don't trouble yourself too much over the awful lines on that TC Bros hardtail. I've got a game plan there....

I got the last cross bar coped and tacked in and pulled the motor. It's ready to come out of the jig now, but I decided to build my foot controls while it was still in the jig and level, so that's next on the list.

8bc032b63dda39d87ccbd4fe82afa8a6.jpg

Coker makes a replica firestone 4.5x18 tire, Just a FYI. The fact that they list those tires as "for restoration use only" and don't like to advertise a speed rating kept me away though. Not that I expect my XS to be a firebreather, but it is a piece of mind I like to have when riding around.

Bike looks good, I kindof wish you kept the old tire size, as the bike being so narrow gave it a artificially wide look.

Back