Registering a USA import

Peyote

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've got a 1972 imported from the states. I'm trying to get it registered. It has all the import papers and all duties paid. My questions are, does it need inspecting or can I just fill out the V55 form and pay the £55 fee. I'm getting so many conflicting stories. Also will the engine/frame numbers and pictures of dating codes be OK for an age related plate or do you have to have a letter from owners clubs etc. Everything I read seems to tell different stories, so hope someone who has done it can tell me. Many thanks Paul

Hi, I've got a 1972 imported from the states. I'm trying to get it registered. It has all the import papers and all duties paid. My questions are, does it need inspecting or can I just fill out the V55 form and pay the £55 fee. I'm getting so many conflicting stories. Also will the engine/frame numbers and pictures of dating codes be OK for an age related plate or do you have to have a letter from owners clubs etc. Everything I read seems to tell different stories, so hope someone who has done it can tell me. Many thanks Paul
I'm interested to know this too as I'm possibly looking to import one. Where did you source yours Paul?

I'm interested to know this too as I'm possibly looking to import one. Where did you source yours Paul?

Hi
I‘ve recently registered my XS2 with DVLA, a bit of a saga because USA title only listed part of the frame number and didn’t have the first letter and numbers (S650-) missing from Title. Should have been S650-xxxxxx. The v55 asks you to input the full frame and engine numbers I took pictures and and sent original title. The application was refused. My second attempt was successful. In answer to you question if you have an original Title document with your import then you do not need to get a dating letter from Yamaha or the Japanese Vintage club. You must follow the V55 instructions exactly and supply pictures of both side of bike and engine and frame numbers. The Yamaha VIN white label has no worth to your application. I also sent a letter explaining that I required an Historic plate and not a Dreaded Q plate. Because my original application failed I grovelled a little and said I would be prepared to obtain further proof if my evidence was not satisfactory I would get the VJMC to confirm 1972 build. Make sure you provide two documents confirming you address dated within the last 3 months. Do exactly what the V55 supporting document asks for. It takes about 8 weeks, if you dont have the USA title then you will have to go to VJMC to provide evidence, no big deal but you may as well join the club for one year and get a discounted dating letter. It’s easy if you do exactly what the DVLA ask and make sure if you have a Title then your frame number picture is exactly the same as the Title which also corresponds to what you write on the V55. Sorry this is a bit long winded but the DVLA will refuse for the smallest mistake. Don’t forget the cheque and sign the bottom of the V55. No inspection required. Cheers Paul

I can remember this coming up over and over again on the UK Facebook XS650 group page.
Every now and then some bright spark will chime in to remind people that your bike must be MOT'd and Insured before you can register it - that's complete bollocks!
It used to be that way, but the DVLA changed the rules a good while back

I can remember this coming up over and over again on the UK Facebook XS650 group page.
Every now and then some bright spark will chime in to remind people that your bike must be MOT'd and Insured before you can register it - that's complete bollocks!
It used to be that way, but the DVLA changed the rules a good while back
Ok great. Thanks

Hi
I‘ve recently registered my XS2 with DVLA, a bit of a saga because USA title only listed part of the frame number and didn’t have the first letter and numbers (S650-) missing from Title. Should have been S650-xxxxxx. The v55 asks you to input the full frame and engine numbers I took pictures and and sent original title. The application was refused. My second attempt was successful. In answer to you question if you have an original Title document with your import then you do not need to get a dating letter from Yamaha or the Japanese Vintage club. You must follow the V55 instructions exactly and supply pictures of both side of bike and engine and frame numbers. The Yamaha VIN white label has no worth to your application. I also sent a letter explaining that I required an Historic plate and not a Dreaded Q plate. Because my original application failed I grovelled a little and said I would be prepared to obtain further proof if my evidence was not satisfactory I would get the VJMC to confirm 1972 build. Make sure you provide two documents confirming you address dated within the last 3 months. Do exactly what the V55 supporting document asks for. It takes about 8 weeks, if you dont have the USA title then you will have to go to VJMC to provide evidence, no big deal but you may as well join the club for one year and get a discounted dating letter. It’s easy if you do exactly what the DVLA ask and make sure if you have a Title then your frame number picture is exactly the same as the Title which also corresponds to what you write on the V55. Sorry this is a bit long winded but the DVLA will refuse for the smallest mistake. Don’t forget the cheque and sign the bottom of the V55. No inspection required. Cheers Paul
Perfect, Thanks so much for that reply..Paul

That's seems a good price, I'd be happy with that and I think I could get that past the powers that be! Just to find one now.

How did yours look when you got it?

That's seems a good price, I'd be happy with that and I think I could get that past the powers that be! Just to find one now.

How did yours look when you got it?
Pretty sad, no wiring or cables, not running, forks seized etc

I purchased mine from Private seller on eBay for £2700, it was in ok condition with a little pitting on the chrome and a large dent in the tank. Running and low milage 5k but the usual rattling rusted exhaust baffle. Plan to make the bike concours. Although looks like genuine low milage with no wear on engine parts I had the usual issue of ring marks on one cylinder and had to rebore to next size piston and got a firm in Liverpool to skim the cylinders with new pistons for approx £250 with 3 day turnaround. Just be aware the early XS bike parts are rather expensive and more difficult to source. These bikes will run on low compression so don’t be fooled by the advert saying engine running. Would just like to concur with above post you definitely do NOT need MOT or insurance to get Historic plate.

Who did you use in Liverpool to do the engine work?
Grampian Motors, Musker Street, Liverpool, L23 0UB. Tel: 0151 931 5009. The actual price was £237 which included bore and piston kits. Just have to arrange parcel post. Give them a ring, I liked the fact that they kept me informed and turnaround was excellent.

Nice one thanks. I collect XS1’s and every one of mine I always get a dating letter from the VJMC. It’s a very simple process and once you get this, complete the DVLA form and away you go👍

Is it particularly quiet on the xs for sale side of things or is there never that many about? I'm being a bit picky as I would like a 74-79 bike with spoked wheels and not a special, I really can't get my head around them looks wise. Is a rear wheel swap to the larger standard rim on a special straightforward? Although I've read the rear shock mount point is different I can't see it.

Last edited:
Although I've read the rear shock mount point is different I can't see it.
The standard XS650 has the shocks mounted vertically. On the Special frame, the top shock mounts are more forward, so the shocks are not vertical.
1661797116377.png
1661797164360.png

IIRC, the difference is 22 mm.

Back