Reinforcement for my habit (look what followed me home!)

lakeview

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I put an ad on Kijiji looking for abandoned projects; a fellow called me about a 78 Special "for parts" so I went to see him and bought it.
A high mileage example, 42,xxx km, last running in early 90's, but it has key, ownership, is not seized, and reasonably complete. It has a recovered seat, now cracked and dried out, non-stock rear turn signals, and is missing a choke actuator and seat lock. The ignition key does not fit the tank, but there are no dents. Title says it is red, so I guess P.O. was busy with spray can and striping tape.
It will sit in a corner until I have a bit of time to get to it, no big plans except to get it running and see what I have.

Attachments

• SAM_0066.JPG
    SAM_0066.JPG
    278 KB · Views: 254
  • SAM_0067.JPG
    SAM_0067.JPG
    274.4 KB · Views: 223
  • SAM_0078.JPG
    SAM_0078.JPG
    283.1 KB · Views: 232
  • SAM_0079.jpg
    SAM_0079.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 223
  • SAM_0080.JPG
    SAM_0080.JPG
    281.6 KB · Views: 221
  • SAM_0081.JPG
    SAM_0081.JPG
    289 KB · Views: 224
That butt ugly seat matches those butt ugly bars, lol. I would be perfectly happy with that for a few hundred dollars. You know most any of these need some serious going through anyway. That one looks relatively unmolested. The seat locks are notorious for falling off. My buddy's on like his third one, lol. But he's somewhat mentally challenged when it comes to things mechanical. Things are always falling off his bikes, lol. He just can't seem to get it through his head that fasteners on a motorcycle need checking for tightness from time to time. Mine came missing the lock as well. I scrounged one and it's still there to this day, near ten years later. But I know enough to check it, and it is loose many times when I do.

That is a good buy. I did the same as you and got a reply for a complete not even to rusty 74. But the round trip is 8.5 hours and both weekends were Damn near blizzards when I was supposed to go. He got mad about it. So I just said I would try again in summer if he quits being a Jerk about nothing.

Posted via Mobile

Hi! My name is Lakefiew and I'm an addict......

Yeah, me too.
Good score!
I found one on a Craigslist posting that had been up for two hours. Made contact and agreed to the asking price if he would delete the add. Seller agreed.
Took a couple of weeks to get it due to weather but the seller was patient and now I have another.

I thought at low 3 figures it was good price, I usually pay more than I should for stuff that does not run, but there always seems to be a reason to open the wallet. (Like, oh well, it's not a Standard, but it's got a hinged seat so I guess I pay xx for it). I think I am at a critical mass now of having enough spares in stock, I do not have to go through the aisle sideways yet. I am looking forward to retirement this summer so I can become more obsessive.

twomany that routine has stuck with me decades.
And I only have 3 bikes so no problems with addiction here. Right?

Haha, yeah, one of my favs.

I think one of the addiction tests involves flat/horizontal surfaces, when you can no longer see the surface.

May need to confer with NONClow on that one...

Back