Remembering Japans hot 700cc bikes from the 80’s

Im sorry to hear about your friend , that’s always hard.
Regarding the bikes, that Seca looks like it would have some real potential!
I’ve always liked the Suzuki triples, that little 380 looks to be in very good condition! I admired the 550 GT , I also really like the 750 water buffalo, but a 50 year old water cooled bike makes me a little nervous.

Motorcycle_honda_cb1_1992.png
On the little end I still own a Honda CB1. 400 cc. DOHC, liquid cooled, 380lbs and very nimble and civilized.. A joy of a bike. Effortless 8200 rpm at 70. :) Son has it in MN, will have to gather it up this summer.

I had a 900 Seca, bought it lightly used in 1984 or 85. It was pretty fast for its time. As I recall, yamaha had a hole in their product line after the XS1100 was discontinued. They needed something in the over 750 class.
So they took the Seca 750 engine and bored and stroked it as much as they could. So much stroke that the big end rod bolts had to be installed upside down to clear the crankcase.
Unfortunately, mine was stolen and thankfully never found. I figured if they found it, it would have been trashed.
Many years and many bikes later, I stumbled into a guy that was selling one because he didn't ride it anymore. He was selling it cheap because it needed work.
When I realized there were title issues I started offering less than his already cheap price and...
He said, "Hell with it, I'll just give it to ya"! He signed the title and gave it to me free!!
Life has intervened and I haven't touched it in a long time. Now that my street tracker build is pretty well finished. I've got to get the 1974 GT380 running again and then, I'll start on the 900.
Wanna see some pics? Sure ya do! Ha ha
First the 900 Seca, then Street Tracker, then GT380...
I like all three too. Used to have a GT185 stroker; always wanted a GT380 triple but couldn't afford one before the knife was put into two stokes.

Back in 1987 the Suzuki Intruder 700cc caught my attention, was water-cooled and shaft driven. To me, it had a low sleek style I really liked but way too much chrome for my liking. I have seen 4 or 5 over the past six months on Craigslist that seemed in good condition, low miles, and reasonably priced.
'TT'

Back