Removal of Crank Case Studs

Bewarethemoon

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Anybody have any tips or tricks on the above?

Trying to remove prior to bead blasting the cases.

I’ve tried heat and using two nuts backed against each other, finding the smaller M8 nuts starting to round.

Any help or insight much appreciated!

Daniel.

Some of them are tough to get out. I use a MAP torch and get the case very hot. Try using flanged nuts back to back with a socket with breaker bar and put a ring spanner on the stud then the lower nut. Use the ring spanner to tighten the lower nut against the upper nut held by the socket.

Some of them are tough to get out. I use a MAP torch and get the case very hot. Try using flanged nuts back to back with a socket with breaker bar and put a ring spanner on the stud then the lower nut. Use the ring spanner to tighten the lower nut against the upper nut held by the socket.

Thanks Signal, that makes sense.

When you say hot how hot are we talking, I worry about damaging the cases, how long are you heating for?

Sorry if this sounds trivial!

I have never measured the temp but far too hot to touch. The torch is applied played on the area (moving) for about 2 mins sometimes longer, you are unlikely to damage the cases. Aluminium is a good conductor and the heat dissapates quickly through the case.

I had a quick go again tonight using flanged nuts arranged as you advised and the duration of heating, I’ve had success! Only got two studs out so far but feeling optimistic.

Thanks for your help Signal!

Daniel.

Back