Removing tank sealer

JohnB53

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a GN400 I put together for my son-in-law and it needed the tank cleaned and sealed. I did the electrolysis and cleaned it good. I have used KBS sealer before with good results and I had a unused kit on the shelf (over year old) and I did email KBS and they said it would be fine) but it never looked correct from the start. Very dull finish ( others always very shiny) and started to peal from top od tank with in a month. Of course KBS denies it is any problem of theirs, but what ever. I need to know what works the best to get that crap out and seal it again. Thanks JohnB

I have a GN400 I put together for my son-in-law and it needed the tank cleaned and sealed. I did the electrolysis and cleaned it good. I have used KBS sealer before with good results and I had a unused kit on the shelf (over year old) and I did email KBS and they said it would be fine) but it never looked correct from the start. Very dull finish ( others always very shiny) and started to peal from top od tank with in a month. Of course KBS denies it is any problem of theirs, but what ever. I need to know what works the best to get that crap out and seal it again. Thanks JohnB
Would KBS have any idea of what to use ?
And if you do get it out your probably better off without a liner as the liners seem hit or miss

I found this from a post by

bluebikerblan in July of 2011​

"It's almost certainly the remnants of an old relining......KBS Coatings makes a great tank derusting, etchant/primer, sealer kit which can be ordered with a "Plus" item which is a great stripper of previously applied lining remnants. Get a "Cycle Tank Sealer Kit Plus" kit."

Site is terrific, as is the flow chart and instructions that come with the kit. Good online support as well. Blue

http://www.kbs-coatings.com/tank-sealers.html

Our "PLUS" Kit contains everything found in our Large Cycle Tank Sealer Kit, "PLUS" a quart of KBS Strip to quickly remove any old failing sealers previously used to seal your tank.
Maybe it will remove their liner too ?

Back