Repairing Pitted Fork Tubes

FWIW:
I tried the same JB Weld repair on a pitted '77 and later brake caliper piston. I think they are similar materials with similar finish? I think I did a pretty good prep job, although not as thorough as you did. Anyways, it was a complete failure, so much so that I never even installed it.

I have worked with excavators and then there was Massive --Monumental problems with leaking Hydraulic cylinders . Rocks falling on the chromed surface. Hitting power lines. Hitting other hard surfaces Steel particles in the Hydraulic fluid.
And then tearing the seals apart.
If you can come up with a solution doing repairs Without tearing down and shipping the cylinder Wthout down time at the site
You can be a Wealthy man soon .. Even if it is not along time lasting Repair

Over the years I've used J B Weld on quiet a few gas and oil (environment) repairs. Don't recall it ever failing on any of 'em.

I have worked with excavators and then there was Massive --Monumental problems with leaking Hydraulic cylinders . Rocks falling on the chromed surface. Hitting power lines. Hitting other hard surfaces Steel particles in the Hydraulic fluid.
And then tearing the seals apart.
If you can come up with a solution doing repairs Without tearing down and shipping the cylinder Wthout down time at the site
You can be a Wealthy man soon .. Even if it is not along time lasting Repair
I used to work on fork lifts. It was the same... hyd. cylinders getting beat up. We would used a fine, single cut file to "V" the nick out, then use a torch and fill it in with silver solder. File that down flush and polish it. Worked great. I see no reason the same couldn't be done to the forks.

Back