Rephased cam timing pin hole

123petey

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey all - quick question

If you have a rephased engine, where is your cam timing pin hole located at TDC under the right hand cover. Thinking to myself this could be another good spot to mark and use externally in the future. With the left cylinder at TDC my timing pin hole is at about 2 o’clock. Thanks in advance for any responses

where does it set with the right cylinder at TDC?
If it sets at 6 or 12 o'clock, that might work out. Just time off the right cylinder.
Leo

where does it set with the right cylinder at TDC?
If it sets at 6 or 12 o'clock, that might work out. Just time off the right cylinder.
Leo

Hey Leo - sorry, I wasn’t really clear. Let me clarify - I’m not setting up a 277 cam ignition off the cam. I’m actually doing an install thread on the vape 277 system. While setting the stator/rotor I had marked the primary drive for my TDC months ago when I finished the rebuild so I’m good. But down the line, or for other people who may not have the clutch cover off, I just happened to see the existing pin hole and wonder if that may be a convenient spot to mark. The instructions mention the hole should be at the 12 o clock position but mine is at about 2 o’clock. There are lots of little errors in the instructions and I think the 12 o’clock mention is for their standard 360 degree ignition. I definitely know it was installed correctly and is at TDC. Just curious where others are at and if consensus is that it may be a good spot to mark and use as reference. I’ll most likely end up marking the rotor and places markers on the stator cover but anyway, just a thought

Yes, On the stock system when the pistons are at TDC the hole should point to 6 or 12 o'clock.
With the rephase it wont work that way because both pistons won't be at TDC at the same time. With the left piston at TDC the hole points at 2 o'clock.
How does the hole line up with the right piston at TDC? this may line up at 6 or 12 o'clock. If it does then use the right cylinder instead of the left to do this check.
Leo

Back