Rephaseing question

Hairball27

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been discussed but i cannot find in any of the threads, I'm having a crank professionally rebuilt and my question is when the crank is being reassembled for the 277 deg, i understand that the right crank half is rotated forward i believe 3 splines from the left side or rotor side from any pics i have seen, when reassembling the cam drive sprocket to the center section is there only one way to install it( lining up the sprocket to the notch) assuming to the to stock location on the left hand side ? thanks in advance for the help.

I have been where you are. The cam drive sprocket goes on as per standard, yes it only goes on one way.
You could cut a new notch in the sprocket and turn it but there is no need.
I came to this mantra when working things out for a rephased engine it is " The left side is Stock" just keep telling yourself this when setting things up and work from there.
Set up your cam using the stock marks and the left side will be correct, if your cam has been correctly ground the right side will also be correct.
Ignition the same.

Thanks again Sig for your input, i was pretty sure that the " left side is stock or bench mark for settings" would seem logical, but i want to be 100 percent asserted when i have the conversation with the rebuilder, and to confirm the right side is 3 splines forward?

To help me when assembling rephased cranks I make a template the size of the crank wheels with a two lines 83 degrees apart. I mark the first one Left and the offset one Right. Looking from the alternator end the Left is at 12 O'clock and the Right between 9 and 10 O'clock.
Although it is pretty easy to tell when you have to move one more tooth ,its an easy check to do before the big squeeze.
If you need to remember the spline offset think 277+ 83 = 360. 360/13= 27.69. 27.69 x 3 = 83.07

Back