rephasing

Dang NJ....sounds like a gauntlet of critters........be careful...........I should hear from the 8-1 mikes 750 kit soon on a guy from PA.........(.060) thousands up on the barrels with a shim under the cylinders.........I did a half a hair more retard on the cam than ours to put it back to stock valve timing......1 head gasket for his with the shim........

xsjohn

does anyone know of anywhere local minnesota or even in the states where i can have my crank pressd apart and buy a cam? thanks

Wasn't someone just talking about have a crank rephased in central Wisconsin. I'll have to do some searching.

I am *so* not comfortable riding faster than 120/70. Faster than that, i'm uncomfortably aware that i make an excellent sail. 100 is a breeze, 120 is a pleasant wind, 140 is a bit of a storm, and 160 is "i wonder if i let go would i float". I'm suspecting the answer is no to that. Not for very long, anyway. It's an excellent control system.

By not comfortable with the speed, are you talking on an XS650 or any bike? What if you had a big windshield, would you be comfortable going faster then? I'm pretty sure every time I get on my FZ1 hit 100+ mph and there's only a little fly screen on that. It takes a couple seconds to get there from 65 and a couple more seconds to get back down. Fastest I've been on a motorcycle is 162mph (by gps, speedo said 172... on a closed course, of course :laugh:) and I wish I could have gone faster :D I'd cruise at 100mph all day if the cops would let me. Newer sport bikes are so smooth and stable, they make you want to speed. Now I know it's a death wish, so I don't need an lectures, but it's fun and I do the speed limit for the most part. I just like to open it up every now and then. I do hear you about the wind though.. I don't always have the fly screen on my FZ1 and the wind at anything above 100 gets a little crazy. On an XS650.... 65mph is just fine. They keep you going the speed limit.

......I did a half a hair more retard on the cam than ours to put it back to stock valve timing......

John, do you always measure in hairs and half-hairs? I think we should have a "John's thread of modifications" so you could save a little bit typing every time someone says anything about engines, carburetors, pushrods, gearing, etc. That way you don't have to try to persuade the entire world to go to 8-1 every other day, you could just link to that thread. What do you think? I actually wouldn't mind trying the XS650 in an 8 to 1 configuration someday. Just to see for myself what it's like.

Was just maybe saving him some money and hassel since no one answered his post.......All right I got the hint....:)...send me a cam when you are ready.......xsjohn

Last edited:
Was just maybe saving him some money and hassel since no one answered his post.......All right I got the hint....:)...back to choppin and bobbing.....and decorating.................xsjohn

Bahahahaha that'd be the day. The decorating part is just wild!! On chopping and bobbing.. We all know John secretly desires to do it... As he always says he's just "too plum lazy" To do it :D

Posted via Mobile

Haha I thought you might like that John. No worries though. Your secret is safe with me. Just need to go and sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world, now...

John I was actually kind of serious about that thread. It would be one hell of a long article and would save you a ton of time later on.

By not comfortable with the speed, are you talking on an XS650 or any bike? They keep you going the speed limit.
It's not the speed, it's just the wind. I'm 6'5", it's a standard, so wind hits me about mid stomach, and i'm a huge sail for 3 feet above that. I was talking more sustaining that speed vs quick blips up to pass. It's just annoying and uncomfortable to hang on to the bars. I usually cruise around 125kph in the slow lane on the a-roads around here. And yeah, one of the reasons i like the xs650 is because it's "slow", compared to a modern bike. Not that i'm afraid of the speed - quite the opposite actually. But we've got laws up here about 50kph over the posted limit and they take your vehicle/license away for 2 weeks an up to 10k fine. I'd rather avoid that. :D

John, do you always measure in hairs and half-hairs?
He's a mechanic. That's what they do. "move it about a hair more. No, that was too far, move it back an **** hair". Then of course, a red *** hair being an even smaller measurement, since redheads typically have finer hair. :D

I would use the term half a CH.......but you young ones are all so used to the Bikini Wax that it may go over right your head..............:confused:

It normally would, but I've heard it all before John :D. Also, agreed. I prefer the Brazilian way. So much nicer. It's like the difference between a really ratty bike and beautiful well built bike.

Maybe that's why you into decorating.....when actually it's what on the inside that really counts.........:laugh:

Back