Replace electric starter

Yes, the battery positive cable runs down to lower left corner of the square black end of the starter relay. You can see the small red/white and blue/white wires that trip the relay.
The upper right corner of that relay where the cable to the starter goes is broken off. Those relays can be found easy enough.
Same with the cable.
Leo
You just made my day, Leo. Things are starting to come together...

Start easy look under the motor, in this pic the starter is at the rear. Very bottom of pic)
20210310_125105.jpg
Black cylinder aft of the rear drain plug.

630FA521-10EF-44E4-B76A-E07E95ABD1CA.jpeg
Yes, the battery positive cable runs down to lower left corner of the square black end of the starter relay. You can see the small red/white and blue/white wires that trip the relay.
The upper right corner of that relay where the cable to the starter goes is broken off. Those relays can be found easy enough.
Same with the cable.
Leo
PO brought over an undamaged starter relay yesterday! Nice. The XS650 community is really quite amazing...

Sorry to resurrect an "old" thread, is there anyplace that sells a new starter or are used ebay units my only option, looks like MikesXS doesnt carry a starter motor. Am in the same boat as OP, just bought a 72 xs2 and someone deleted the starter at some point, I want it back

Welcome to the forum!
Nobody makes new starters unfortunately. You can try Ebay... and this site has a classified section you can find on the front page. I don't think there's one currently for sale, but you can run a "Wanted" ad there. What with all those who delete starters, there should be plenty of 'e out there. Good luck.

Welcome to the forum!
Nobody makes new starters unfortunately. You can try Ebay... and this site has a classified section you can find on the front page. I don't think there's one currently for sale, but you can run a "Wanted" ad there. What with all those who delete starters, there should be plenty of 'e out there. Good luck.

Damn that was fast! Good idea, seems like I see a million posts and YouTube videos about deleting the starter but almost none about un-deleting one. I'll post a wanted add and see if I catch anything. Thanks a million for your advice and quick reply

Back