Replacing ignition key with simple toggle switch on 1976

Paleomechanic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I’m considering putting in just a simple toggle switch in a tucked away place

Simple “on /off”.

As I understand, solid red power from main harness to one pole, on the other side , red with yellow stripe and the two brown wires?

I’ll have no “ park” setting , so I suppose I can leave the two blue ones out ?

Sorry, I’m sure this has been covered before ( hell, I’ve even done this before …30 years ago …but have forgotten …)

Advice appreciated
Cheers
Nick

It depends on what wiring scheme/harness is present. If stockish, the solid red that feeds into the key switch from main fuse exits the key switch as brown then back to the fuse box - so that's one place to wire in the toggle.
fusebox detail 01.jpg.png

It depends on what wiring scheme/harness is present. If stockish, the solid red that feeds into the key switch from main fuse exits the key switch as brown then back to the fuse box - so that's one place to wire in the toggle.
View attachment 240087
Yeah, ok that makes sense . I am considering putting it just under the seat near the battery box, so that might make it a simple mod?

Yes, I actually have a 40A toggle in that neighborhood on my tracker. I used the red after the splice on the battery lead @ the solenoid for power in and ran a brown to the fuse box above (no need for the wire to go all the way to the handlebar area and back again)

Yes, I actually have a 40A toggle in that neighborhood on my tracker.
This is something that get's overlooked, so I'ma point it out....
Even though our XS will only draw about 20amps.... on a good day, JP doubled that up and used a 40A switch.... and he's absolutely correct in doing that.
It's called "switch derating." Think of it this way... an engine has a 100hp max rating. How long do you think that motor would last if it were run continuously at 100hp? Not near as long as it would at say half power, right?

A switch is the same. Say it's rated at 20A. How long do you think it'll last with 20amps running through it? 'bout as long as the engine at 100hp most likely.
A good rule of thumb is 50% derating.... or double if you will. For a 20A system, a 40A switch is only running half it's rated capacity. I'll last a good long time.

Right... off me soap box.... :wink2:

If it's not done already, you will need to hook the blue wires to your headlight on-off switch. One is tail light power of course but the other is most likely your speedo and tach illumination lights.

Back