Rescuing Dad's '71 XS1B

Yes, sometimes just .001" can make the difference between loud ticking and a quiet valve. The spec for the intakes on my '78 is .004" but when set to that, they ticked like crazy. Closing them up just .001" to .003" quieted them right down.

Just my two cents: I've used many gasket scrapers over the years, but this one is the best "store bought". It's not gonna work magic on your 52yo gaskets, but an improvement. Available most fine motorcycle outlets and here too: https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-G...cphy=9009345&hvtargid=pla-1114708577031&psc=1

41db4tkpNDL._AC_SX425_.jpg

The smaller (about 9/16") width gasket scraper MikesXS used to sell is very nice .....

GasketScraper.jpg

I combine that with a couple of old, small, semi-sharp knives I have. Both the knives have the tips broken off the blades but for gasket scraping, that turned out to be a good thing. I sharpened those broken ends so now the knives can be used as a "pusher" type scraper along with being used as an actual knife to "carve" the old gasket off. Of course, none are used without first softening the old gasket with a 10 minute soak of paint stripper .....

GasketScrapers.jpg

I’ve always had good luck with an old wood chisel. As with anything you just have to be careful.

Back