Restoration of wheel rims and spokes

Khapty

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello guys. Thanks for all the tips you've been sending. They really help. I'm now looking for advice on how to clean/polish the wheel rims and spokes. Would it be essential to take the spokes out and lace them again after the polishing?

5twins

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Spokes are usually just replaced with new ones, stainless if you don't want them to ever rust again. If the wheel rims are aluminum alloy then yes, they can be cleaned and polished. Yes, the wheel needs to come apart.

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I did a partial restoration on an old Yamaha enduro a couple of years ago. Spokes were rusted as were the chrome rims. I planned to sell the bike and didn’t want to replace those items (too costly for a dirt bike). I used SS 0000 steel wool to get the worst of the rust off, then used Autosol polish it do the rest of the work. Came up pretty nice. For the spokes I took a 12” long Velcro strap, smeared Autosol on the hook side, wrapped it around the spoke 1-1/2 times and polished each spoke using a back and forth, sawing action.

F8163F9F-8FC3-4939-9266-9E1E1FC0D449.jpeg
F0C81B68-1C1A-4C58-B93A-A3243926D54A.jpeg

5twins

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Original spokes are usually just cad plated and that's not a very durable coating. Aggressive cleaning and polishing will remove it pretty easily, leaving just raw steel that will rust up in no time. Sure, it may come out looking good, but that's not going to last very long.

Khapty

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Spokes are usually just replaced with new ones, stainless if you don't want them to ever rust again. If the wheel rims are aluminum alloy then yes, they can be cleaned and polished. Yes, the wheel needs to come apart.
Yes, wheels are aluminium alloy. Will look for new spokes if I can't clean them at all. Nothing available for the bike in this country!

Khapty

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Original spokes are usually just cad plated and that's not a very durable coating. Aggressive cleaning and polishing will remove it pretty easily, leaving just raw steel that will rust up in no time. Sure, it may come out looking good, but that's not going to last very long.
I can have a go at this and try to get them Chrome plated locally, otherwise need to import the set of spokes. Thanks

Khapty

XS650 Member
Reaction score
The pics look great. Thanks for the tips too. For the long term, it seems I will need to get new spokes. Meanwhile I can clean them just to move forward.
I did a partial restoration on an old Yamaha enduro a couple of years ago. Spokes were rusted as were the chrome rims. I planned to sell the bike and didn’t want to replace those items (too costly for a dirt bike). I used SS 0000 steel wool to get the worst of the rust off, then used Autosol polish it do the rest of the work. Came up pretty nice. For the spokes I took a 12” long Velcro strap, smeared Autosol on the hook side, wrapped it around the spoke 1-1/2 times and polished each spoke using a back and forth, sawing action.

View attachment 205272View attachment 205273