Restoration update

Xumi

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
For those that know me from 650rider, I had a few threads over there giving updates on my restoration. This is a continuation thereof.

For those that don't know me, I'm Xumi, and I'm in process of restoring a 1979 XS650 special II. This bike sat laying on it's side in a muddy field for 14 years (as best I can tell. That or it as in the bottom of a lake.. take your pick. Either way, it was a sad, sad sight).

The bike started with mud packed in the fuel lines and dead bugs throughout the bike, including Inside the carb bowls, missing side covers and turn signals, rusted tank, blown fork oil seals with ancient fork oil encrusted to the forks, front break dragging due to stuck caliper. Rear wheel completely locked due to bearing and brake drag... the list was long to say the least.

You probably know the story from your own bike... it was pretty bad, but fixable. I had been wanting to do a restore for a long time, and the price was right (Free - the guy even delivered), and the engine oil was clean, so I decided to attempt a restore.

So... the journey so far - you can find some of the details of the journey over on the 650rider site too.

Rebuilt both brake calipers, changed out crystallized brake fluid.
Replaced fork seals and dust caps
Cleaned and polished forks (that was some major work)
Cleaned and re-greased front bearings
Cleaned front wheel
Cleaned mud out of carburetors, fuel lines, gas tank, etc.
De-rusted fuel tank with electrolysis
Replaced vacuum petcocks with single manual petcock
Re-routed fuel lines
Cleaned carburetor 2nd time, removing layers of scale and dirt (no varnish.. the bugs ate it maybe??)
Cleaned/repaired all electrical connections and switches
Replaced battery
Replaced missing turn signals, repaired associated wiring
Replaced cracked ignition wires + caps
Replaced points, regapped
Adjusted valves (amazing.. they were spot on!)
Cleaned final drive area (to determine where oil leak was coming from)
Replaced rear wheel bearings
Cleaned and De-rusted rear axle
Cleaned and re-greased chain (amazing how good of condition it was in.. probably due to the major oil leak)
Cleaned and greased swing arm pivot pin - bushings already replaced with metal - yay!
Replaced final drive oil seal
Replaced clutch push-rod oil seal
Replaced kick starter oil seal
Separated and Oiled clutch plates (they were quite stuck, preventing proper clutch operation and gear changes)
Polished left and right engine covers to high brushed appearance (so far.. may go for chrome like finish)
Cleaned stator housing
Cleaned rotor
Replaced air filters with pods
Sync carburetors (using business card drag method)
Replaced carb boots.
Capped vacuum barbs (manual petcock)
Replaced tank rubbers
Hours and hours of cleaning, scrubbing, de-rusting various parts.

Still to do:
Clean and re-grease mechanical advance
Replace mechanical regulator with solid state
Adjust timing chain tension
Adjust point timing (again)
Final sync of carburetors using dead cylinder method
Final tune of carb (may need to re-jet.. will see after timing)
Paint side covers, badge on one.
Replace side cover grommets and latches
Replace tires (they are a bit rotted)
Title and Registration (that will be fun)

Anyway, the list of things to do is much shorter than once upon a time when this thing started..

The bike runs now, really well above 2000RPM, pretty good at idle, left cyl intermittently cutting out between idle and 2000RPM. Timing on left side is retarded and doesn't want to adjust to the F mark... so that's what I'm sorting out at the moment, plus it's not charging very well (surprise - mechanical regulator completely rusted out).

After fixing the oil leaks and reassembling the rear end, I finally was able to ride the bike under it's own power for the first time in 15 years(!!!) - it was just to the gas station and back - but it still was Very rewarding, knowing that I took a bike that rightfully should have been disassembled for parts, and put it back on the road. I have an appointment to talk to the DMV next week to get the title replacement/transfer started. May have to do a lien sale to get legal ownership of the bike.

So, I'm nearly done with the project now, and it's been an amazing learning experience. It's been a blood and sweat project, that's for sure.

My next project is sitting in the garage, waiting... an '81 XV750 virago that's been sitting in some fool's garage for 13+ years. It looks to be in amazing condition (at least comparatively to the XS when I first drug her off the trailer)... it's waiting patiently for me to finish the XS.

So.. that's the journey so far. Pictures coming maybe this weekend. It's still not quite gorgeous, but it's getting there.

Xumi

Last edited:
It is a great feeling to get a basket case and put life into it thats for sure . It is good to see another 650 lives .
Keep up the good work.

Wow I thought my project was overwhelming! That's truly cool, you saved a life. There has to be some very good karma in that.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Another minor update - after taking a few days off, I finally got off my couch and cleaned/greased the ATU (mechanical advance), and re-gapped the points, retimed with a timing light, and gave the air/fuel screws a little adjustment too (they are now at 2 7/8 turns both sides for anyone keeping score.. they're real close now, feels like - still need to do some chops).

The carb farts and popping on decel are gone... The bike sounds and pulls Very strong, and starts much better now. It's starting to act like a bike again!

Next up will be conversion to solid state regulator. I was very tempted to try and find a working mechanical regulator, but figured the reliability beats keeping the bike stock in this case. The points give it old world charm - the regulator is just a push waiting to happen.

The mechanical regulator and the rectfier (under the battery box) may still be working, but due to age, they can stop working at any time. I recommend you replace both. The automotive solid state regulators work perfect. Using 2 bridge rectfiers to replace the old rectifier will increase reliability big time.

Hi RG - glad to see you again.

I believe I've settled on exactly that solution, although I'm toying with the idea of converting to a motorcycle all-in-one reg/rectifier I have sitting around from an '80. I think the tipping point may be that I don't much feel like rewiring the stator, and with the auto regulator, I wouldn't have to.

Back