"Restored" what does that mean to you

if someone represents a bike as a restoration it should be a daily rider. Just my why of thinking.
If not he should admit it's problems.
Yes, perhaps I didn't grasp the context of your original question - semantics, opinions. In the context of representation by a seller, I fully agree; use the word "restoration", without qualification, and I'm looking for what WideAwake describes.

I read a recent post by a new member that bought a bike online allegedly described as restored. From the issues described, it wouldn't qualify as a refresh, a rehab or any r-word.....maybe "rustic".

Id have to say that, other than the powdercoating, your XS2 is the closest thing to a "restoration" I've seen on this site.
...and I mean that in a good way.

Thanks Jim, I was shooting for a showroom new look, but I was probably guilty of over polishing, parts that would’ve had a more brushed finish when it left the factory. But….I was building it for me and what I liked.

The thread on your XS2 was a inspiration to everyone on this site. I wish I had the will power to "revamp" a XS like you did but let`s face it I just can`t. My thought train doesn`t work like that.:shrug:

Thanks Phil, it’s funny how different our perspectives are. I have always been in awe of the bikes you have turned out. I only wish I had your skills.

I shall NOT weigh in on this subject...
IMGP1632.JPG

I also like the term Survivor resto. In my opinion the Patina is very cool and it shows the character and what the machine has gone through. I’m certainly not a fan of rust and I do love me some shiny stuff but a running, functioning machine that looks it’s age is a head turner. Hell most of the members on this site me included fall into the Survivor category.

As it left the show room floor. With minor exceptions... such as electronic ignition. If you find an exceptionally original .. I wouldn't " restore " it. There are plenty of other units that could be the subject of spending $$$$'s. 😎

Typical
restore or replace
KIMG1915.JPG KIMG1914.JPG
The bracket's' original silver gray had been oversprayed black.
Acetone on a rag and scrubbing removes the black, a bit of case satin sliver brushed on, later buffed a bit with blue magic "hides" scratches and a bit of rust.
Must have been a luggage rack at some point, it wore a groove in the fender, otherwise straight with good chrome.
clean up, dab on some "chrome paint", so it doesn't jump out at you, or rechrome?
Cables have that yellow brown aging in many places. If the action is good, clean up the brown, use a bit of silver paint on a rag to "cover it" or replace with reproduction prices with a slightly different knurled end?

The chrome lowers in remarkably good shape.
KIMG1923.JPG
jigged in the lathe the seal carrier unthreaded from the lower after a few "knocks".
KIMG1920.JPG

Replacing seals, gaiters, straightening about .040 of bend in the tubes, reassembling.
The old seals just a bit smaller OD than the replacements, ran a bit of rubber off the OD of the new ones with the wire wheel
KIMG1924.JPG
and in they go.
Had to make a couple special tools, used a socket as a driver to keep from damaging the seal carriers.
KIMG1922.JPG
Seals and fork oil will get a bit of DS2 for added "slippery". Factory fork oil is 30 weight motor oil, probably mixed with some whale oil. Think I'll try 20 weight fork oil in this set. 30 weight in Weathervane feels a bit harsh.
Typical choises. A very early bike, really good shape, near zero rust, very low miles, BUT repainted, had been down, aftermarket mufflers, headers all beat up, seat and seat pan were toast, several mechanical issues. And so it goes.

I'm curious what restored means. To me it means the bike looks like it did on the show room floor and also runs like it did when new. I see people say they restored their bike but when you really look at it it's different than when new. Aftermarket parts. I understand consumables like tires, chains, sprockets and cables need to be replaced. They should look correct. It should also be at least as mechanically good as when new. I mean a daily rider if you want to.
I do what I like to call "resurrections". Bring them back from the dead. Make them mechanically as good or better than new. Run and ride as good as new. Looks let them be what they are. As the old saying goes they are only original once. The difference between a resurrection and a restoration is money, paint and re-chrome. Mechanically it should be the same. The bike should run and be as reliable as a it was when new.
I've been working on a XS2 resurrection. It's not quite done yet. I need to get 500 or so smiles on it to make sure everything is good. Then after a oil change and a once over twice I may sell it.
Last October I went for a old biker get- together. I ran into the salesman that sold my XS2 when it was new. He was blown away not just that it was still running but that it was still mostly original. He liked the patina I had kept on the bike. Like me he fells that restorations are cool but if you can't ride them everyday they belong in a museum. Look but don't ride.
To some I may have false pride in what I have done because it's just basic maintenance to make a 50 year old bike a dependable daily rider. Or even a trip taker.
I think you are spot on. I worked for a large car and motorcycle collection for many years and we tried to keep them as original as possible and everything ran..

Typical
restore or replace
View attachment 221838 View attachment 221839
The bracket's' original silver gray had been oversprayed black.
Acetone on a rag and scrubbing removes the black, a bit of case satin sliver brushed on, later buffed a bit with blue magic "hides" scratches and a bit of rust.
Must have been a luggage rack at some point, it wore a groove in the fender, otherwise straight with good chrome.
clean up, dab on some "chrome paint", so it doesn't jump out at you, or rechrome?
Cables have that yellow brown aging in many places. If the action is good, clean up the brown, use a bit of silver paint on a rag to "cover it" or replace with reproduction prices with a slightly different knurled end?

The chrome lowers in remarkably good shape.
View attachment 221840
jigged in the lathe the seal carrier unthreaded from the lower after a few "knocks".
View attachment 221842

Replacing seals, gaiters, straightening about .040 of bend in the tubes, reassembling.
The old seals just a bit smaller OD than the replacements, ran a bit of rubber off the OD of the new ones with the wire wheel
View attachment 221841
and in they go.
Had to make a couple special tools, used a socket as a driver to keep from damaging the seal carriers.
View attachment 221843
Seals and fork oil will get a bit of DS2 for added "slippery". Factory fork oil is 30 weight motor oil, probably mixed with some whale oil. Think I'll try 20 weight fork oil in this set. 30 weight in Weathervane feels a bit harsh.
Typical choises. A very early bike, really good shape, near zero rust, very low miles, BUT repainted, had been down, aftermarket mufflers, headers all beat up, seat and seat pan were toast, several mechanical issues. And so it goes.
I don't mind sending stuff to the plater if I have to, but on most things, I'll take blemished original parts over aftermarket if NOS can't be found.

this is almost like which the best oil,gas, brakes etc. i like to see them original style or with updates that make them safer or with a personal twist,color that keeps the original theme. Choppers, bobbers are not my style. the xs650's are kinda like women you can dress them up, but the original model is usually the best.

It's possible to change the name of my thread on my TX650A? I didn't realize that. I've actually been thinking of this topic lately having realized that my bike has not been, and never will be, "restored".
Top right.... 3 dots and an arrow. Click on that, then click "Edit Thread."
That'll give you a popup with your title in it. Change it to what you want and click save.

Untitled.png

Back