Restoring wheels

What wattage should I not go below for an 8" bench grinder to polish with? 350w big enough?
You can never have too much horsepower for polishing, though my current 1 1/2 HP 3phase running on a VFD (variable speed) seems to do the job.
polishing is a horsepower hog, IMHO if you are buying, no less than 3/4 HP (specially if it's tiny chinese horseies)
Many ways to skin this wheel cat.
in random order;
Some wheels ARE beyond saving, if the tire needs replacing anyways, take it off before you start so you can gauge the amount of corrosion inside before wasting a lot of time...... I've prolly chucked out 10-15 rims that I've deemed past safe/good looking use.

spin it up and check for run out. once bent, rims are scrap. don't confuse a bump at the weld with bent.
to spiff up a rim, it's a LOT easier if you can spin it for your clean up polish work.
Then if new spokes are going in take the wheel apart, pretty up the hub.
If you are replacing spokes; consider how skinny stock rims are, a beat up, corroded, gouged, rim can be inexpensively replaced a with a brand new slightly wider rim. This may be one of the best resto-mod changes on the XS650.
Stainless steel spokes, nough sed.
Note that above I suggested running the abrasive disks on a VSR drill NOT an angle grinder.
an adapter mandrel will be needed. they can be bought or made from a carriage bolt, washers, etc.
Getting disks with plastic backing strongly recommended for wheel work, to avoid adding scrapes, gouges etc.
IMHO angle grinder speeds are just too high for smoothing polishing work. specially in tight quarters like a wheel or anything still in place on the bike.

KIMG2556.JPG KIMG2554.JPG
Face shield, wrap around safety glasses, breathing mask. SOP
Only you can gauge what is "shiny enough".
I build bikes to ride, not revolving stand, show pieces.
existing nicks, tire iron gouges, riffling files, remove any metal that is sticking up, round the edges,
toglhot; do you ever search the forum for existing threads? LOL
Since we all need to show off now and then.
I've gone further but what's on the lift now.
I guess my polishing "level" is a bit better than what might have come out of the factory if the old guy on the buffer wasn't being pushed to get more parts done each shift. LOL
1666958677843.jpeg

I haven't bought this pack
https://www.amazon.com/Rustark-Assorted-Polishing-Abrasive-Compound/dp/B08FFH95CY/ref=sr_1_26?crid=PTW5CXD4SQRJ&keywords=Nylon+Fiber+Polishing+Wheel+320&qid=1666908543&s=industrial&sprefix=nylon+fiber+polishing+wheel+320,industrial,122&sr=1-26
but this type disc mounted in a VSR drill works really well for spoke wheels, the recessed center lets you work without hitting the spokes and they do a better job of smoothing the pits, the dico wheels tend to leave "lumps" in the dished area.
It is very helpful to mount the wheels so they can spin while you work.
The abrasive wheel will quickly take on the dish' radius and this pack should take you from rough to near mirror.
I bought a set and I thought that the abrasive discs would be too course
I take it they are not
I'll have to try them out Red disc first and then black and then buff it out with the felt discs using green compound /red / and then the black ?

I bought a set and I thought that the abrasive discs would be too course
I take it they are not
I'll have to try them out Red disc first and then black and then buff it out with the felt discs using green compound /red / and then the black ?
Yeah I like to buy disks where the seller states the grit. I guess 180 (if needed) then 320 abrasive wheels, then move to black on sisal, white on sewn, green or blue on a loose wheel. Color of buffing sticks is MOSTLY consistent, but you gotta read, watch what you are buying...
1666963347121.png

Not mine:
KIMG2342.JPGKIMG2339.JPGKIMG2337.JPG
Seen at Barber. WOW level polish, but typically this type of bike isn't ridden? :confused:
There's also some issues with originality................
Slippery slope.

Last edited:
If you want your wheels to look like new send them to Mailman.😂

Well boys…..
441C5088-B237-4DEF-99A0-2A272FD288BF.jpeg

I was lucky to not have to deal with a lot of corrosion, for me the process was paint stripper,
AC2155F4-BDAD-4011-AE7A-EE681B41EBDF.jpeg

Followed by a good soap and water wash,
72A4229C-B154-434C-A4D4-0E41E1443C1E.jpeg
Then clean with Blue Magic and buff,
F90F5DD2-CF62-43FC-BA3F-80E92AB2D6D2.jpeg
Then show off your results! :smoke:
66B3A43A-5874-4006-86A6-11BEB887BAEF.jpeg
C1BCC485-1A10-4A89-9553-EDB9705BF460.jpeg

Gratuitous photo of my XS2 wheels ( which are chrome and a whole different animal )
04638118-3B84-4AC5-A8BC-9DE013B6800B.jpeg

Back