Resurrecting an old bike - how much will it cost?

MaxPete

Lucille, Betty, Demi, Gretel & Big Sue money pits.
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy!

One of the most common questions asked by newbies is: “how much will it cost to get my “new to me” old bike running, roadworthy, safe and reliable?”

I don’t have nearly as much experience as many folks on the forum, but I have done a couple of bikes and the truth is that it depends on the skill level of the new owner and the condition of the bike - and especially how complete it is - plus whether the goal is a nice daily rider or a full-up beauty queen. One thing is for sure: it will likely cost a lot more than you might think at first glance. It won’t likely be as much as a new bike, but it probably won’t be dirt cheap either.

I ran across a YouTube video that answers most of these questions pretty well. Even though the bike in the video isn’t an XS650, (it is actually a Honda CB750), in my view, the scope of the project (the list of tasks and new parts required) and the costs that go with them, are pretty realistic.

See what you think….

Pete

Last edited:
I learned long ago that in most cases there is no such thing as an investment in motorcycle restoration. Particularly in these xs’s. Now maybe if a young fellow can hold onto one of these long enough their values may rise a little, but that is not typically the case. The cost of restoration typically exceeds the value someone is willing to pay. I am sure Bowling can chime in on this as he has restored and sold several recently, but any profit surely would not cover the cost your many hours of labor. The only profits I have ever made on a motorcycle has been from flipping a bike before money was spent in new parts. But that’s just me….. I think anyone going into this needs to look at it as a hobby/ labor of love. For me it’s the enjoyment of time in the shop and the accomplishment of building something nice from what used to be a lump. Just remember, there is no such thing as a FREE bike…

That is very bad advice he gives there fooling young people
Hondas are not restored that much because parts are Expensive like Gold ---at least what i Have heard

You dont throw money on a $ 100 bike before it is started .. And reasonable checked that it is ..Rebuild able
Was it $ 1500 the sum ----what happens if the crank is destroyed and a non runner after that

The cost ?? I have had cheap low mileage $ 800 $ 1300 bikes bad looking bikes and have not had anything in the shop yet
doing all the work myself a little on the alternators and ignitions so it has not been expensive.

If you rebuld it into fine condition 3 - 4 - 5000 $ not really my domain

On other vehicles it can be expensive parts worst case no longer available

Tools / Garage / Time / Shop costs The sky is the limit

The new culture is to throw it out and buy new. Go a head wear those rented patent leather tuxedo shoes. I'm wearing my 30 year old Johnstone and Murphy's. If something is clean, intact and has general structural integrity, I am o.k. with it. If a car is late model, banged up, dirty, and looks neglected that's a deal breaker for me. If you're my son, don't park it here. If it's old, and clean, maintained and RUNS no problem, leave it.
My bike:
For me, I found a 1981 that had been parked in a shed and ridden very little for a few years because it's wiring was gerrymandered and charging system had rendered it unusable . I was lucky in trhat it had been used over the years (30K) and generly maintained.
$1000. It was a good platform. I did all the work. Total for a cool bike $2000. Folks come and look at it when I get gas and or give me a thumbs up when I go buy. $200 0f that probably was not needed and never used. It will never be a show piece.
If I were to sell, maybe i'd get $2500. But why sell it if I like it ? I'm not selling Grandpa's Smith and Wesson for the same reason.

It is de-badged with shorty mufflers and UNI's. I like that it's been de- badged but other wise stock. I plan on getting some more neglected MC's when I retire soon and find a home with more space.

One thing I do real well IMHO is find cheap nice used parts, read schematics. I have luck finding upgraded parts used off later models that plug in.
Access my thread https://www.xs650.com/threads/starting-from-scratch-1981-xs650.59276/ I detail my project. It will 50 degrees today in Maryland. I'll get out.

Attachments

• yamaha xs side cover 6 .JPG
    yamaha xs side cover 6 .JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 95
Last edited by a moderator:
While his thought process is good, I don't agree with some of his conclusions. "Sell it and at least break even." Riiiiiight. Good luck with that, Unicorn Boy.

Also, he missed mentioning a basic item: Chain and sprockets. I can pretty much guarantee it's gonna need those.

Of course, one assumes he's going to do the tear down first and then decide whether to start throwing money at it.

Now maybe if a young fellow can hold onto one of these long enough their values may rise a little, but that is not typically the case.
Judging by the age of the folks on this forum, my guess is that the XS650 value is about as high as it's going to get. Once we start dying off, so will aftermarket parts suppliers. That's my prediction. Unless bikes like the RE breathe some extra life into us.

The only realistic answer is it depends.
The # ONE factor is choosing the bike to resurrect. Condition, brand, model all can make or break it being a "reasonable" project.
More than once I've brought home a "deal" bike looked it over, did some checks, and immediately sold it right back into the market.
Other times I've backburnered bikes while waiting to find a complimentary parts bike so the project could proceed at reasonable cost.
Then in no particular order
scrounging ability.
Are you OCD? This is the driver of "out of control" spending.
Mechanical skills, tools, place to work.
Flexible time frame.
Finding a source for the needed parts, a parts bike or 3 LOL, reasonable salvage yard, networking with other guys doing the same bike, all save time and money.

…..so, lots of different answers for lots of different situations….

As for the video, the guy didn’t say that he was going to actually spend any money before freeing up the engine and making sure that it was sound. He was merely cataloguing the minimum list of things the bike would need like tires, tubes, a battery etc. etc. - which virtually all old bikes will require - whether or not they are Hondas, Yamahas or priceless Vincents.

Anyhow, I found his style wordy, but his analysis not unreasonable.

Pete

Last edited:
Judging by the age of the folks on this forum, my guess is that the XS650 value is about as high as it's going to get. Once we start dying off, so will aftermarket parts suppliers. That's my prediction. Unless bikes like the RE breathe some extra life into us.
there are alot of bikes across the world. Many are rat rods now.

I never think about money when taking on a project like this. It takes the fun out of it. If I can’t afford to do an upgrade then I wait and save until I can. One time (25 years ago) I cut my neighbors lawn for a summer to buy tires. Another time I sold a mint condition bike to pay for my wife’s brain surgery. It’s all about priorities.

Are you OCD? This is the driver of "out of control" spending.

Are you talking to me?
Adam Sandler Halloween GIF by Netflix Is a Joke

My XS2 spiraled out of control and that was exactly why. In the beginning I bought a bike that I had seen run before buying it, all I wanted to do was clean it up and fix a few things and go ride it, but………..we all know how that turned out. :laugh2: I have broke even on bikes in the past, but they were good bikes to begin with and not especially cheap, and I stopped putting money in them when I knew I had reached that break even point.
If you want a perfect bike that won’t break the bank, buy one that somebody else already dumped a ton of cash into and let him take the beating! :sneaky:
Ultimately most of us here are buying a hobby that makes us feel good, it’s not about a return on investment.
So says Captain OCD………

If you want a perfect bike that won’t break the bank, buy one that somebody else already dumped a ton of cash into and let him take the beating! :sneaky:
Ultimately most of us here are buying a hobby that makes us feel good, it’s not about a return on investment.
So says Captain OCD………
Absolutely correct!

The majority of these old bikes are not worth the investment of restoring. That is if you want to sell them after. If you find a model that is demand and can pick it up for a steal them flip it that is your best bet on making some cash. If you find a Z1900 for $4,000-$5000 (personally I try to spend 1200 or less) and spend another 5,000 (usually more)and do all the work yourself you probably will make a profit(not counting your labor), same goes for the early CB750. Those are the ones that will or could sell for the higher prices. Otherwise its a labor of love and a very satisfying hobbie. If I can recover most of cash then I'm good. I brought this back to life after spending $700 for the bike, of course it needed a new crank, rods, bearings, wire harness $570 (dam fools cut it and was not going to splice 22 wires),body kit,fuel pump, wheels straightened on and on. I had $5,500 into it and sold it for $4500 which was on the high end for that model.
GSXR1000 in driveway.jpeg

Although both of mine were inexpensive initially (free and $200), they both easily absorbed around $1000 to fix them up. I kinda stop keeping a running total after that mark, lol. But on the other hand, this is over the course of years, sometimes many. On my '78, which I've had since the early 2000's, that amounts to less than $100 a year, a small price to pay for all the enjoyment it's given me. My '83 is about done now, getting pretty much all the same mods I gave the '78. About all I see in it's future are some carb set swaps. I have a spare set of BS34s I renovated I'd like to try, along with some BS38s. Some nice BS38s came on an XS500 parts bike I got a few years back and I'd like to adapt them for 650 use.

Are you talking to me?
Adam Sandler Halloween GIF by Netflix Is a Joke

My XS2 spiraled out of control and that was exactly why. In the beginning I bought a bike that I had seen run before buying it, all I wanted to do was clean it up and fix a few things and go ride it, but………..we all know how that turned out. :laugh2: I have broke even on bikes in the past, but they were good bikes to begin with and not especially cheap, and I stopped putting money in them when I knew I had reached that break even point.
So says Captain OCD………

....well Bob, I did resist the temptation to use the term "postal" in my description and went for "a beauty queen" instead. ;)

And FWIW, I want my bikes to look nice but mainly, I want them to be safe and reliable - and I don't keep track of costs either. This is not a game where there is a lot of money to be made and we all have our own personal limits. Basically, for me, when it stops being fun, the spending should stop.

Cheers all!

Pete

On my '78, which I've had since the early 2000's, that amounts to less than $100 a year, a small price to pay for all the enjoyment it's given me.
We can spend a whole lot more than that, and it's still far less expensive than golf or hanging out at the bar. I believe it's a lot healthier than hanging out at the bar as well. Consider depreciation and we lose less than we would on a new bike in most cases. It makes me happy, so I'm good with it.

Yes, with all the needed upkeep, my 650s are good at keeping me outta the bars at night, lol. But, now that I'm older, the simple fact is I just don't drink that much anymore, not like in my younger days. And being retired helps with that too. I think some of those hard days at work drove me to drink, lol.

Back