Retiredgentleman or any one else that has run this

jsmith1107

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have a 1976 XS650 with a PMA and I am getting rid of my two coil system and want to go with one. I also am keeping my current points. What coil can I use that won't fry my points? Also, how do I wire the condenser as well? I have seen plenty of wiring diagrams and I don't see that listed in them.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Jeff

Mikes has a 4.5ohm dual lead coil($42) and a dual lobe cam for points($17) so you can run the ignition you would like. You could keep one set of points and one side of the condensers(keep the otherside as a spare) .

Pretty much like your present setup except your running "half" of it twice as often. It's called "Wasted spark system" because while one side is getting it's timed spark at the power stroke the other cylinder is getting a spark during it's exhaust cycle. The one set of points would need to work of 2, thus the dual lobe. It's the points style of the TCI in a sense.

You can use the Mikesxs coil # 17-6822 (4.5 ohms primary). No need for the dual lobe cam. Keep using the stock single lobe cam, and keep using both sets of points. Disconnect one of the black wires coming off the capacitor (condenser). Both points will use just the one capacitor. Both sets of points are tied together in parallel, wired to one side of the coil primary.
Basic points single coil dual points.JPG

Also it would be a good idea to add a 10 amp fuse into the brown wire that feeds power to the Kill switch (engine stop switch).

Hmmmmmmm. Yes that will work...Still 2 sets of points to wear and maintain. Depends what your desires are.

Hmmmmmmm. Yes that will work...Still 2 sets of points to wear and maintain. Depends what your desires are.
Just a simpler way to do it, and save him $17. Yes, all points wear and go out of adjustment.........................that's why I changed to a Pamco! The ATU wears and goes out of adjustment also. Life is so much better with a Pamco and E-advancer.:bike:

Check my statment/caption. Pamco w/ e-advance on the SG! Set and forget.

yeah, I would like to do that but I already have a lot of money into this bike and don't really want to spend that kind of money right now. If I could find a deal on a PAMCO, I would do it. If I did buy the PAMCO what exactly would I all have to buy? Reason I ask is because when I look on Mikes XS there are a ton of different options. So, there is not another coil I could use if I don't want to buy from Mikes? Only reason I ask is because sometimes Mike's has some junk on there site. Thanks as usual all you guys!!

Any dual output coil of 4.5ohms(or rated for points) will work. Ebay, Bikebandit, Andrews,etc. Question, why change anything if you want to keep points?

Jeff, I will be using points and the Honda MP08 coil mentioned in your other thread. I have a Wassel style tank with a narrow tunnel, so I want a small dual output coil. To stop that coil from frying my points I will be using a Napa/Echlin resistor, ICR23. From my notes I see that the resistor is 1.20 OHM, that in combination with the MP08 coil will give me 4.20 OHM, safe for the points. That's a small coil with a great reputation and good price, very trustworthy compared to most aftermarket coils.

Wiring for that resistor is simply placing it inline with the primary + wire (brown wire) going to the coil.

Scott

Last edited:
I have those Honda coils on the shelf, I usually buy them in threes on ebay. I have one mounted with the Napa ICR23 resistor on my unfinished bobber. You would still have to rewire your points wires as retired showed on the diagram for a dual output coil or try the dual lobe cam. When it comes my time I think I will try the two point, rewired, set-up.

Wires and boots, I always start with new wire from Napa, my store has 7mm metallic core, dark blue silicone wire by the foot, most Napa's don't have it, and new caps. I just can't see using old Briggs & Stratton type wires or old caps. Those NGK resistor caps are a great design but there are 6 connections in there counting the resistor, 6 different connections that can tarnish and corrode over time, the innermost connection is the worse, I've tried cleaning them only to find that the innermost connection is worse when reassembled.

Yes that's all you should have to do. Coil, resistor, rewire points, wires and caps. Oh yeah, condenser.

Scott

Last edited:
Mike's dual lobe points cam isn't very good. Most report a very noticeable variation in timing one lobe to the other. The one I had was about 5 or 6 degrees difference between the lobes. Hooking the points together a RG mentioned is the better option until you can afford the Pamco.
Leo

Mike's dual lobe points cam isn't very good. Most report a very noticeable variation in timing one lobe to the other. The one I had was about 5 or 6 degrees difference between the lobes. Hooking the points together a RG mentioned is the better option until you can afford the Pamco.
Leo
Thx Leo!

Yes, buying parts from Mikesxs is risky. The Taiwan/Chinese parts seem to be made with no quality control in the factories. Sometimes they work and sometimes they are just junk. They are so far below Japanese quality that's there's really no comparison.
I search out parts from everywhere else, and only buy from them as a very last resort. As you gain experience with your bike and continue to buy from Mikesxs, you will soon find out the real truth about the products they sell.

Back