Reunited with XS650SH

My last job was R&D tech in a Materials Test lab. They went all out the last couple years I was there with some high end rheology testing equipment. Rheology is essentially measuring viscosity across temperature and pressure. I should have developed routines to plot a bunch of different oils.
On a side note I did Gas Chromatography on @Ben1 made Whiskey and it was more pure than off the shelf Johny Walker scotch.
I have a little bit ready laying around here , should I save and bring to ozarks?

Couple things. My other bike, an ‘83 650 is good on 10W Bel-Ray fork oil. So, why wouldn’t I do another the same? Anyway, I have 15W Bel-Ray.
The center stand on this thing is roached. The tang is twisted. I expected it to be too difficult on the lift to get it on the stand.

Fork oil weights are not consistent between brands. I use Bel-Ray.

There appears to be no damage. I’ll continue reassembling it tomorrow. I had to paint the top yoke and clean some chrome. The scope always widens.

Time to get the welder out, lol. These are great centerstands once you brace them and add grease fittings to the pivots. Easiest stand to deploy I've ever had (once modded).

Time to get the welder out, lol. These are great centerstands once you brace them and add grease fittings to the pivots. Easiest stand to deploy I've ever had (once modded).
In one of my bins, I have a gusseted '83 stand with a bent leg from a crash. I need to find someone with a press to set it straight. I prefer to just use that one. What about the quality of the aftermarket stand? By time I pay for welding modifications, it's cheaper to buy the aftermarket stand.

View attachment 236327

It fell off the jack! A friend from church came over and helped me get it back up.

I ordered 10W fork oil from Amazon. They sent 15W. :mad: I just texted Southern Thunder Harley-Davidson asking if they have it. They'll be my only possibility.
Im not sayin this bike needs an exorcism, but maybe this bike needs an exorcism??

First squished between car and garage, now falling off table....

Just teasing of course....looks like you're going all out giving it a good life, good on ya!

Im not sayin this bike needs an exorcism, but maybe this bike needs an exorcism??

First squished between car and garage, now falling off table....

Just teasing of course....looks like you're going all out giving it a good life, good on ya!
You gotta understand, @jetmechmarty rides in a leather jacket with one sleeve 15 years newer than the jacket itself...

What is the consensus on aftermarket center stands? Mine was broke and welded years ago and is holding up. I won't be to surprised if it does give in again at some point. I'll look into moding the pivot for zirks. Or I think I saw greasable bolts somewhere a while ago....

What is the consensus on aftermarket center stands? Mine was broke and welded years ago and is holding up. I won't be to surprised if it does give in again at some point. I'll look into moding the pivot for zirks. Or I think I saw greasable bolts somewhere a while ago....
https://www.dimecitycycles.com/yamaha-xs650-stainless-steel-center-stand-bolt.html
https://www.mikesxs.net/yamaha-xs650-stainless-steel-center-stand-bolt.html
https://yamahaxs650.com/product/main-center-stand/
1677510977614.png

Today's project is an attempt to get the flashers working. The colors in the schematic don't appear to entirely match what's in the headlight shell. Today, I'll try the XS650SK template.

Welding the stocker is the "hot" tip? ;)
KIMG3197.JPGKIMG3196.JPG

Back