Reunited with XS650SH

The "backlight" bulbs run off the blue wire that emanates from the key switch and also feeds taillight

Yes the gauge back lights are fed by the starter cut-off relay along with the headlight on the specials. If the bike has a fuse box, it's wired this way.
late special lighting.jpg

I was going to give the same answer as JPD but since I had a late model manual by my chair I cheated and looked first!

Last edited:
Thanks. There are differences between the two bikes. I might have an issue other than misconnections. I swapped flash cancellation unit and flasher. The switchgear ground has proper contact with the bar.
Dg (dark green) is the color I don’t see. It all looks black and shades of brown.

Thanks. There are differences between the two bikes. I might have an issue other than misconnections. I swapped flash cancellation unit and flasher. The switchgear ground has proper contact with the bar.
Dg (dark green) is the color I don’t see. It all looks black and shades of brown.
Yes swapping dark green and black a common and fun snafu

I was going to give the same answer as JPD but since I had a late model manual by my chair I cheated and looked first!
LOL....well, I tried to cheat....quickly pulled up this excellent schematic and peeked: yep blue wire (if ya don't look too close). If ya zoom in sufficiently that blue becomes blue w/black and don't come from the switch, but way back @RLU, Headlight relay, etc. - Sorry Marty:doh::shootme:
81_ XS650H_SH.PNG

LOL....well, I tried to cheat....quickly pulled up this excellent schematic and peeked: yep blue wire (if ya don't look too close). If ya zoom in sufficiently that blue becomes blue w/black and don't come from the switch, but way back @RLU, Headlight relay, etc. - Sorry Marty:doh::shootme:
View attachment 237522
I’ll go back to this when it’s runnin’. Thanks guys!

1CE171D7-3354-4130-B0E1-B552CD8FEE68.jpeg

These are Triumph T140 bars. I bought Biltwell “Renegade Grips” as they’re nice and fat. I have them on another bike.
7D32A6C0-9034-4269-9A93-8B6F24497842.jpeg

Fitting the Yamaha perches and switchgear is a close call. I think it’s going to work as I’m short only two or three millimeters.
16702F34-1117-4E1F-A664-93FF779DE6BD.jpeg

6F3AF42F-9117-4A5E-AB5A-094D1BB0F420.jpeg

933BC46F-C878-4867-BBDA-5C9ECE89D034.jpeg

It’s not quite as bad as the photos make it look.

Looks good ..there is the Possibility to rotate handlebars slightly forwards getting a bit more straight arms
slightly higher If one wish .... .But I believe that will work fine

F112E55C-4D21-4CB4-9CA1-3685E2B60F32.jpeg

Yesterday afternoon, I fired it up. I expect it had not been started in twelve years or so. There are no strange sounds from the engine and it pulls like a locomotive.

I found the petcock in a box. I remember putting a kit in it. Before installation, I put a new o'ring on the diaphragm part. It leaks awful. The seat was polished. I need a better kit. Also, super glue DOES NOT secure the standpipe. It's loose as a goose. Suggestions?
Gasoline poured out of the left carburetor. That sorted itself out. The pilot is clogged. I'll sort that, no problem.
Before starting, I replaced the plugs with the correct BP7ES. I also replaced the caps. I removed the rotting air filters. In spite of carburetor issues, it started in short order. I rode several laps in my neighborhood, maybe 3-5 miles. I'll probably have a look, but I'm sure I would have adjusted the valves and cam chain before starting the last time. It runs very quiet. Of course, it's terrible until I open the throttle or the choke. It idles on one cylinder. I can fix that. 13.2 vdc @ 3,000 rpm and climbs to 13.8 vdc. It's been too long to remember what I did to it.

I now have two nearly identical bikes. This one has the original ball bearing steering. It is to me, no doubt, quicker than the tapered roller bearings, not that it's important. That's just an observation.

Needs:
Air filters
Battery
Petcock
Tires
Chain?
Insurance
??

It now has a Mississippi title and vintage tag in my name :)

Maybe this one will go to the Ozarks in May.

View attachment 238880

Yesterday afternoon, I fired it up. I expect it had not been started in twelve years or so. There are no strange sounds from the engine and it pulls like a locomotive.

I found the petcock in a box. I remember putting a kit in it. Before installation, I put a new o'ring on the diaphragm part. It leaks awful. The seat was polished. I need a better kit. Also, super glue DOES NOT secure the standpipe. It's loose as a goose. Suggestions?
Gasoline poured out of the left carburetor. That sorted itself out. The pilot is clogged. I'll sort that, no problem.
Before starting, I replaced the plugs with the correct BP7ES. I also replaced the caps. I removed the rotting air filters. In spite of carburetor issues, it started in short order. I rode several laps in my neighborhood, maybe 3-5 miles. I'll probably have a look, but I'm sure I would have adjusted the valves and cam chain before starting the last time. It runs very quiet. Of course, it's terrible until I open the throttle or the choke. It idles on one cylinder. I can fix that. 13.2 vdc @ 3,000 rpm and climbs to 13.8 vdc. It's been too long to remember what I did to it.

I now have two nearly identical bikes. This one has the original ball bearing steering. It is to me, no doubt, quicker than the tapered roller bearings, not that it's important. That's just an observation.

Needs:
Air filters
Battery
Petcock
Tires
Chain?
Insurance
??

It now has a Mississippi title and vintage tag in my name :)

Maybe this one will go to the Ozarks in May.

Oh man, thats a beauty right there!!

Glad to see someone else operating side covers off besides myself while test & tuning. ;)👍

Glad to see someone else operating side covers off besides myself while test & tuning. ;)👍
Those covers are as new. They do not come off easily. They'll remain on the shelf for the time being.

My daughter wanted a purple motorcycle. What we came together on was black, the paint has purple glass in it. It looks purple in the sun.

View attachment 238025
These are Triumph T140 bars. I bought Biltwell “Renegade Grips” as they’re nice and fat. I have them on another bike.
View attachment 238026

Fitting the Yamaha perches and switchgear is a close call. I think it’s going to work as I’m short only two or three millimeters.
View attachment 238029
View attachment 238032
View attachment 238033
It’s not quite as bad as the photos make it look.
Like these
https://www.dimecitycycles.com/7-8-vintage-triumph-high-handlebars.html

Back