1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

For Sale - Rewound Alternator Rotor

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Jim, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Thanks Jeff. :cheers:

2. yamahama

yamahama '72 XS in Restoration XS650.com Supporter

Florida
    looking at all of the shiny 'new' rotors, I have been wondering if there is any noticeable effect by brushing off the outer metal that gets magnetized? I ask because mine still have an even coating only with some crud. A screw driver still slaps down on them all. Going to clean the copper and take some xxxx grit paper to the area I scratched with the multi-meter probes....to distract me from thinking about I just fried my HF sonic cleaner (water).

Jim likes this.
  3. Jim

Jim Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Hot off the press!!
    This is a TCI rotor. Will work for any year XS650.
    See comment #1 for details.

Untitled.png

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  4. toomuchstuff

toomuchstuff XS650 Member

Hi Jim,
    I'm interested in your rotor. I have 2 TCI rotors which need re-winding. 1 could be a core and 1 to re-wind as your schedule permits? Please let me know your current pricing and procedure to get them to you.
    Thanks,
    Gary

MaxPete likes this.
  5. Jim

PM sent. Current pricing is as listed in comment #1

MaxPete likes this.
  6. Jim

Here's another. Made for the 70-79 bikes before the TCI system. Anyone notice anything "special" about it?:sneaky:
    Same as always, read comment #1 for terms and conditions.

zz.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  7. GLJ

GLJ Never go faster than your guardian angle can fly. Top Contributor

2 rows of 3 screws?

MaxPete likes this.
  8. Beags64

Beags64 XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Michigan
  9. Jim

nope.

10. Jim

Ding ding ding.... :D

11. Machine

Machine Race the wind Top Contributor

4 brass screws, :shrug:

MaxPete and gggGary like this.
  12. GLJ

You didn't show a before pic.
    Now I see in your pic in #143 all the screws are on the inside with just the magnet on the outer.
    Sneaky bastard.:eek:

13. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

14. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

EVERYONE - if you have alternator trouble - here are the steps you take:
    1. DO NOT order a PMA - put your wallet away.
    2. Be sure that all electrical connections are clean and secure (like say, those two big screws holding the + and - terminals on the top of the battery);
    3. Check that your battery is fully charged to 12.5-12.7 volts AND that it will hold a charge overnight AND that it will run your headlight or turn signals - with the engine OFF - for at least 20 minutes before the voltage across the + and - terminals drops below 12 volts;
    4. Check your alternator brush length (this takes ~10 minutes and requires a #2 and a #1 JIS screwdriver) - and if they are OK, go to Step 5;
    5. Go through the article XS650 Charging Systems for Dummies by Jim (the article is attached as a .pdf and it is easy to follow, doesn't take a lot of fancy electrical know-how or expensive tools and it will help you to identify your problem - plus it gives you an excuse to buy a nifty new tool - a multimeter - which can be had at Horrible Fright, Princess Auto, Crappy Tire, RadioSchmuck or WallyWorld for about $10-15);
    6. Depending on the results of your tests, either get a new modern regulator-rectifier unit (unlikely if all the connections are clean and secure) or order one of Jim's superb re-wound rotors as advertised above. They literally are better than new.
    7. See Step 1.
    I got one of Jim's first re-winds for my 1976 XS650C (the troublesome, but endearing Lucille :yikes:) a couple of years ago but, being a stubborn engineer, I wanted to see how long the original rotor would survive in-service and about 10 days ago on a ride with Lakeview and TotalFool, I found out.....:cussing:

Pete

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  15. Jim

Nicely done on the PDF Pete. thumbsup.gif

MaxPete and gggGary like this.
  16. MaxPete

MaxPete Lucille, Betty, Demi & Gretel: I ask, THEY decide. XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Writing and editing technical documents is my "thang"!

GLJ, Jim and gggGary like this.
  17. Jim

Memorial Day Special.

Price reduced

$99 shipped anywhere stateside.
    1055758114_o.gif Crikey..... what a deal!! 1055758114_o.gif

zz.jpg

Last edited: May 31, 2021
  18. GLJ

19. Team Junk

Team Junk XS650 Guru XS650.com Supporter Top Contributor

Next one is for me.

RustiePyles, Jim and MaxPete like this.
  20. Jim

With or without the magnet?

RustiePyles, MaxPete and gggGary like this.