On the rotor front, dunno if I've said this so here goes.
I had my rotor done locally and a good job was done .
But I've since noticed when going to time the spark that the timing mark is gone!
Well ...or so I thought, after hooking up a timing light I saw a glimpse of it a long way from where it should be.
After I tested for TDC what I did find was a punch dot close to where I guestimated it to be.
I've rung the rewinder who says the rotors can only go back together on way, and that's the way that they were before....
Hmmmm....???

I've rung the rewinder who says the rotors can only go back together on way, and that's the way that they were before....
Hmmmm....???
Nope. They can be clocked pretty much any position you want. In fact, you have to give yourself marks on the rotor before you tear it apart to know where it clocks going back together.
The first year I was rewinding 'em, I managed to get one about 2° off through carelessness on my part. Sold it for a $25 discount because of it.

Nope. They can be clocked pretty much any position you want. In fact, you have to give yourself marks on the rotor before you tear it apart to know where it clocks going back together.
The first year I was rewinding 'em, I managed to get one about 2° off through carelessness on my part. Sold it for a $25 discount because of it.
Thanks Jim, I timed it to the punchmark for now.
Bike runs fine, hard to start off the kicker, but the electric start gets it going.
I probably need to make a positive piston stop and verify that I've found exact TDC

Just putting my foot in the door,
Jim don't sell yourself short, you offer a quality product with support and fast turn around. Your pricing NEEDS to go up.

In economics it's said the greatest sin a business can commit is to set price too low to cover it's costs and make enough profit to prosper.

Just putting my foot in the door,
Jim don't sell yourself short, you offer a quality product with support and fast turn around. Your pricing NEEDS to go up.

In economics it's said the greatest sin a business can commit is to set price too low to cover it's costs and make enough profit to prosper.

‘Lightning just struck me’: Why Costco’s CFO says the price of the $1.50 hot dog and soda combo is ‘forever’​

September 26, 2022

1678326303723.png

Costco’s chief financial officer has suggested the wholesaler will keep its famous hot dog and soda combo at $1.50 “forever.”

During the company’s fiscal fourth-quarter earnings call last week, CFO Richard Galanti was asked whether the retailer would look at increasing the price of its all-beef frank as it aims to deal with tightening margins.

After joking that “lightning just struck me” after he got the question — a reference to the $1.50 combo’s mythical status at the company — Galanti said that it will always be other parts of the business that are keeping the hot dog’s price in the same place it’s been since 1985.

“Some businesses that are doing well with margin ... those things help us be more aggressive in other areas, or, as you mentioned, hold the price on the hot dog and the soda a little longer — forever,” he said.

Other Costco food court items have increased in price recently, including the popular chicken bake which went up from $2.99 to $3.99 in July.

The price of a 20-ounce soda also rose from 59 cents to 69 cents over the summer.

Galanti’s comments echoed the words of Costco CEO Craig Jelinek, who in July was asked by CNBC’s “Squawk on the Street” if he thought the company would raise the price of its signature food court item.

‘Lightning just struck me’: Why Costco’s CFO says the price of the $1.50 hot dog and soda combo is ‘forever’​

September 26, 2022

View attachment 237186

Costco’s chief financial officer has suggested the wholesaler will keep its famous hot dog and soda combo at $1.50 “forever.”

During the company’s fiscal fourth-quarter earnings call last week, CFO Richard Galanti was asked whether the retailer would look at increasing the price of its all-beef frank as it aims to deal with tightening margins.

After joking that “lightning just struck me” after he got the question — a reference to the $1.50 combo’s mythical status at the company — Galanti said that it will always be other parts of the business that are keeping the hot dog’s price in the same place it’s been since 1985.

“Some businesses that are doing well with margin ... those things help us be more aggressive in other areas, or, as you mentioned, hold the price on the hot dog and the soda a little longer — forever,” he said.

Other Costco food court items have increased in price recently, including the popular chicken bake which went up from $2.99 to $3.99 in July.

The price of a 20-ounce soda also rose from 59 cents to 69 cents over the summer.

Galanti’s comments echoed the words of Costco CEO Craig Jelinek, who in July was asked by CNBC’s “Squawk on the Street” if he thought the company would raise the price of its signature food court item.

The many facets of Jim's industrial enterprises should cover a "loss leader" with no problems.

Antique to Aerospace; we put a Dent in it!

Last edited:
I’m beginning to go through my 75b charging system.Jim,your work is unparalleled.Gary,your support and efforts as always,priceless.The redo process is defined here very clearly. I’m still able to achieve this, yet a bit older and rusty,so to speak.A pleasure to be a member here.You all are appreciated.🤝

Attachments

• 93E75AE6-68F6-46C6-BB49-8F8AE1FF55D8.jpeg
    93E75AE6-68F6-46C6-BB49-8F8AE1FF55D8.jpeg
    332.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 0487622C-EE2E-4CCF-9E48-3DA09D85C2AF.jpeg
    0487622C-EE2E-4CCF-9E48-3DA09D85C2AF.jpeg
    275.9 KB · Views: 62
  • 3CB26199-FDF3-4E29-978D-EEE84173739A.jpeg
    3CB26199-FDF3-4E29-978D-EEE84173739A.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 57
  • FDA8FB6D-4580-4534-B6E1-471C5A8814E9.jpeg
    FDA8FB6D-4580-4534-B6E1-471C5A8814E9.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 61
I’m beginning to go through my 75b charging system.Jim,your work is unparalleled.Gary,your support and efforts as always,priceless.The redo process is defined here very clearly. I’m still able to achieve this, yet a bit older and rusty,so to speak.A pleasure to be a member here.You all are appreciated.🤝
So, you rolled your own? Very good.

@motorbikerx
Quote "On the rotor front, dunno if I've said this so here goes.
I had my rotor done locally and a good job was done .
But I've since noticed when going to time the spark that the timing mark is gone!
Well ...or so I thought, after hooking up a timing light I saw a glimpse of it a long way from where it should be.
After I tested for TDC what I did find was a punch dot close to where I guestimated it to be.
Hmmmm....???"
could you tell me who rewinds the rotors in Australia please
Regards - Ray.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah... I hate to drop highly technical electronics terminology on ya... but that thing looks to be toasted. :sneaky:
Someone said hit it with some electrical cleaner….thoughts?? Also where would this corrosion come from? Was a NOS part instaled same day as your rotor. Sealed AGM battery so nothings dripping down.

Hey jim, i just picked up a 1980 xs650, its my first bike. It worked fine when he showed me, but had to kickstart it. The battery died between us talking and so wasnt able to test ride it but picked it up anyway. Now its been replaced with 2 different batteries, and still nothing, no lights, no turn over. Im starting to think it’s the stator and am wondering if this deal will come with a stator or just the rotor? If not do you or anyone you know have a stator to sell?

Howdy - Jim will be along later, but in the meantime:

It's unlikely to be the stator; they are generally very reliable and don't drain the battery when failed. You can test all of the system (incl. stator & rotor) with a common multimeter and we'll help ya do that...

Welcome aboard!
You are about to become an electronic technician.
No juice, no lights is not the charging system but a wiring, connection issue. "somewhere"
A couple pics of the bike will really help us, all stock or "re-engineered"?
Start by looking at connections.
#1 Ground strap from battery to frame. Remove, flex, looking for gray dust at the ends, clean frame reinstall.

#2 The the fuse box area is next, seldom intact by now, the little metal fuse holders rot and fall apart.
A simple diagram of the basic wiring.
fusebox detail.jpg

the physical fuse box layout
fuse box detail.jpg

power goes from battery to main fuse ,then up to ignition switch, (the switch CAN have corrosion issues inside) Hawaii, salty air....., then; back to fuse box to the other three fuses.
start at the battery and test till you find where the power peters out.
a good idea to print this out.
80_XS650G.PNG

Poster size is handy....

You putting in new brushes?

Back