Right cylinder not firing.

Dodgefairbanks83

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Ok. So i replaced pamco knockoff that was fried, with boyer bransden micro with e advance. Tdc. Fired right up!!! Yay... But it was only firing on one cylinder. Took carbs apart and deep cleaned every nook and cranny. Carb cleaner comes out of everywhere the same on both with tube pointed at each hole, jet. Etc... Put back on bike. Still only firing on one cylinder. Switched plugs. Switched wires. Switched primary leads coming from e advance to coil. Put the old plugs back in. No change. It dies instantly on any throttle other than a slow slow twist. Sounds like sucking noise from left carb. Left cylinder is only one firing. Plug reads lean. Other plug still looks brand new. Now it will only pop on choke and then flip choke off and kick it and nothing. Flip choke back on and it will pop again. Battery was weak a bit. Have on trickle charge now. Boots are tight. No air leaks. No grinding or clacking when it was running.... Wtf

It would help if folks knew which model and year you had...Does it have 2 petcocks? Are they both "ON" ?

1983. One petcock. To a T, down to 2 mikuni vm34.
So i found out why its not firing. The right carb is dry! I cleaned every single piece of it. Clear passages. Fuel is going to carb. Just not into carb. Will a stuck float valve stop fuel from entering the carb?

You said you have VM34 carbs. The stockers were BS34's. Don't know about the VM's but the stock BS's have a screen on the float valve body. If yours are the stock carbs, that could be plugged also.

Back