Rim width recommendations? (Front vs Rear sizing)

I hear you loud and clear. I finally got my first smart phone a couple of weeks ago, and I'm going to have to get my son to give me a tutorial. I can make and receive calls on the damn thing, but I have no idea how most of the functions work.

I hear you loud and clear. I finally got my first smart phone a couple of weeks ago, and I'm going to have to get my son to give me a tutorial. I can make and receive calls on the damn thing, but I have no idea how most of the functions work.
I'm still using a land line and a flip phone. Rode my Harley to Sturgis in 2018 using paper maps. Told a kid that and he didn't believe me.

I'm still using a land line and a flip phone. Rode my Harley to Sturgis in 2018 using paper maps. Told a kid that and he didn't believe me.
I use paper maps too. Mississippi seems to not have road signs. Someone steals a sign and it isn’t coming back apparently. For backroad exploration, I’m going to need a GPS, or at least a compass.

The High Priest of Speed got, uh, uncertain about our location on the Ozarks Rally one year when his and everyone ele's GPS went down. I had the only paper maps. Luddites will inherit the roads.

Okefenokee, eh? Say Hey to Pogo, Porky, and Miz Beaver for me. Tell that crew I miss 'em.

The High Priest of Speed got, uh, uncertain about our location on the Ozarks Rally one year when his and everyone ele's GPS went down. I had the only paper maps. Luddites will inherit the roads.

Okefenokee, eh? Say Hey to Pogo, Porky, and Miz Beaver for me. Tell that crew I miss 'em.
I've been on group rides when our "leader" got us lost big time thanks to GPS. Map your route, I like to use mapquest for speed, highlight it on a paper map, write directions on index cards in tank bag, review tomorrow's route every night and voila! Went 5ooo miles in 14 days through 14 states and had to turn around one time. If a Goober like me can do it...........

bbbBut getting lost is half the fun!
Inner cities and reservations excluded.
Even there it's usually just an adventure.

I did about 20 miles on dirt/gravel coming back from Barber Vintage Fest in October. No signs, no GPS, just the sun for reference. It worked fine and I had a great ride.

I've been given the GTFOOH (dumb ass white boy) lecture by tribal and inner city police a time or four.... Slow learner.

I used a website called neighborhood scout to find out what the crime rates were in towns we might be stopping in. Let's just say it was an eye opener.

Gary
I've been given the GTFOOH (dumb ass white boy) lecture by tribal and inner city police a time or four.... Slow learner.
Even there it's usually just an ad
Even there it's usually just an adventur

Gary, new rim dilemma. Bought a set of spoke wheels from an '81, 19"-16". 5twins said that he thought you had laced up a 19" on a 16" rear hub and had to modify the spoke holes due to the spoke angle being different. Please share your wealth of knowledge, O Great One.

Hiz majesty the wizzard of Odd speaks!

Yes I've dealt with some spoke (re-)angling issues. Hub will be fine but choose your rim carefully. One with spoke holes for a front drum should work fine. The smaller hub diameter of a disk front hub has the spoke holes in the rim quite straight. The bigger drum rear hub will require more of an angled hole. BUT most rim sellers kinda ignore the spoke angle issue or give "will fit many types" answers. I have recut the rim holes to better match the needed angle but that's not trivial and other than my (luck?) so far in doing it and riding a lot of miles on them, not recommended. Using the big brake rear hub from a TX750 is one extreme example of having to change the hole angles. There's even more to that deal but different than a 19 with an XS650 rear hub.
Lets see if I have some pics.
Sorry guess not.

Hiz majesty the wizzard of Odd speaks!

Yes I've dealt with some spoke (re-)angling issues. Hub will be fine but choose your rim carefully. One with spoke holes for a front drum should work fine. The smaller hub diameter of a disk front hub has the spoke holes in the rim quite straight. The bigger drum rear hub will require more of an angled hole. BUT most rim sellers kinda ignore the spoke angle issue or give "will fit many types" answers. I have recut the rim holes to better match the needed angle but that's not trivial and other than my (luck?) so far in doing it and riding a lot of miles on them, not recommended. Using the big brake rear hub from a TX750 is one extreme example of having to change the hole angles. There's even more to that deal but different than a 19 with an XS650 rear hub.
Lets see if I have some pics.
Sorry guess not.
Dang it! Thanks.

The OE 19" front is 1.85" wide. That's really too narrow to use with a decent rear tire. Guys who go that route are trying for "the look" at the expense of performance, and works only if you want something to show and don't care about the ride. I recut the spoke angle in a 2.15x18 rear rim to mount it on the front hub, but as the Wiz says, going the other way is a whole different proposition. BTW 18" front and rear is a common road race combination. 19" front and rear is usually a flat track setup; it won't help street performance and will greatly limit your rear tire selection.

I'm currently bidding on a used stock aluminum 18" rear. I may go with an aftermarket (Mike's XS) aluminum for the front, as close in width as I can get to the rear. Do you think I'll have spoke angle issues with an 18" from mikes on a stock '81 hub?

You shouldn't have any issues, many of us here have laced 18" to front hubs and 19" to rear hubs.

Back