Road Trip

motormike

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Road trips.. we'r guys..it's what we do.
….Saturday 1PM...my buddy Patina Pete calls....he's all stoke'd…. " Mike ! check out the red Cushman on Craigslist ". I got a 62' Eagle and he wants my opinion… So I pull it up.... and... it's rougher then a 50 year old lot lizard. Patina Pete calls back minutes later... " MIke !.. it's still for sale ! (been posted for 3 weeks at $1000, no real surprise)… we can go look at it… ( I like how he mentions the... WE part)… "
… Saturday 2PM.. I pick up Patina Pete for a 265 mile one way " We part " to Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
We pull into the drive way and there sits this 1952 Cushman Eagle. It's difficult to see a diamond in the rough... engine turns over... no spark. Get a rag, Patina Pete is drooling... his haggle poker face isn't working. Next thing I know, 8 Benjamin's are hand'd over and we'r strap'n it down n the back of my little red truck. I can't fault the guy since a couple weeks ago I drop'd 12 Bennies on a box of M20 bits and frame.

On the way home we have a late dinner at the " Happy Chef " 80 miles from home. " Say, Pete..is the Chef flip'n us the bird ? ".
We pull into Patina's Pete's drive two hours pass my bedtime... off load his new pride and joy.... ".. say, Mike.. call my cell phone ".... ring ring.... " Happy Chef ! "... we'r guys.. it's what we do.

Attachments

• Pete Cushman 5.jpg
    Pete Cushman 5.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 178
  • Pete Cushman 4.jpg
    Pete Cushman 4.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Pete Cushman 3.jpg
    Pete Cushman 3.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 175
  • Pete Cushman 2.jpg
    Pete Cushman 2.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 134
  • Pete Cushman 1.jpg
    Pete Cushman 1.jpg
    195.3 KB · Views: 170
Great story Mike! Everybody loves a road trip with a happy ending!

Not to stray off track , but what is the appeal with Cushmans? And why do they bring such money? They have very rabid fans.
They always looked to me to be a big lawn mower engine in a very primitive frame.
In the 60’s we used to have Tote Goats, that’s what they remind me of.
Great story none the less!

Last edited:
I was in Sioux Falls for a bit. I had a good impression of it. You can ride to the falls itself, which is sort of across the river from a giant meat packing place.

I like Cushmans but can appreciate them from afar, w/o owning one :) There are lots of different models and looks. I think the scooter looks cool. It's the old minibike tradition, which is just a big upright B&S lawnmower motor. The bigger three wheel covered thing is cool. I was reading about Froggy from Our Gang the other day and I remember he was killed on a Cushman scooter when he was just 16. I once saw a Harley Davidson lawnmower minibike unless it was just the owners invention.

Cushman.. from the late 30's to about 1963.... made in Lincoln, Neb. Besides the scooter there where other models for industrial and military use. Even shoved out of C-47's over Normandy on D Day (1944). I'm sure many a Panzer Tiger crew shiver'd at the sight of .. Cushman. Cushman is still in business today.. but they don't do scooters.
From old timers I learned the went great distances on them back in the day. A couple of my friends rode theirs to and from Sturgis.. 1200 miles round trip. With 8 horse power. 2 speed transmission.. they'll cruise at 40-45 mph.. and on a nice road it's a pleasant ride. Last fall myself and another Cushman rider took ours to Slimey Crud.. 100's and 100's of motorcycles.
We discovered nearly anyone under 40 wasn't aware of .. Cushman .. thought they were home built or a kit bike.. the grey beards knew Cushman. Nearly any part is available for them... but like the Model T the base group.. owners... that enjoys them are get'n older and new Cushman enthusiasts are rare. Prices on the web are steep... I found mine at a estate sale and proceed'd to add fins, caddy taillight and other period items. Like all bikes they have a follow'n.. my buddy loves Tx750's.... I'm not a fan and sent him my Tx750 helmet.

Attachments

• Tx helmet.jpg
    Tx helmet.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 154
PS: from last night after we off load'd the Cushman... Patina Pete show'd me the Harley clutch cover he scored.... and add'd to his Xs650 clutch cover... He ground off the " ty " on the lettering. Then he ask'd after he drill'd and tap'd the cover in place.. the bolts extended about a quarter inch inside the cover.. " would that be a problem..? '' … only to the clutch basket Pete... :)

Attachments

• Xs derbey cover.jpg
    Xs derbey cover.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 169
I had totally forgotten the WW2 connection for Cushmans. It was pretty cool actually. The Germans surrendered at the mere sight of them tootling up the road! I take it all back, I get it now, they were historically significant and pretty darn cool in their day!
3CDED4F0-5FFE-49BE-A02F-3CC5E87CDA7C.gif
299B7CAF-17F6-4D97-86EE-941B0BC0431F.jpeg
5DFF0CFB-0D44-4BE4-862B-4C399A8F540C.jpeg
DCA20781-C693-4978-B4C1-3048E868EBB2.jpeg
B45BE0E1-0A4D-4CF2-9C76-0322AC153C7B.jpeg
F2E5B05F-467C-400A-AFA9-8DE82C412658.jpeg
66716934-0197-4CA6-995E-8E282767D90E.jpeg

That first picture is kind of frightening, in an evil clown kind of way. Can't blame them for surrendering.

Patina Pete got his " hog " cover on.... I must admit.. it.. fits.... :)

Attachments

• Patina Pete sidecover.jpg
    Patina Pete sidecover.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 150
… it was a 72' XS..... but over the years.....Pete.. add'd this and that....removed that and this....it's a Kaw 400 ft end... there's a reason we call him Patina Pete. I'v ridden it... it is a hoot to ride... comfy saddle.... tiller bars....

Back