Rocker Cover - Broken Stud

You need a bottoming tap. That's a tap that doesn't taper on the end very much. It will tap threads deeper into a blind hole before it hits bottom. And yes, there are special Helicoil bottoming taps. I found some on eBay and did this very repair.

My local autoparts store carries "kits" which include a few coils plus the proper bottoming tap for a good price, and they tell you which size drill bit to use.

Or you can just grind the tip off of your tap in hand. Grind it flat as high up on the cutting edge "lead in taper" as you desire. You should leave just a small amount of lead taper. You can cut threads nearly all the way to the flat bottom of the blind hole if you are careful
;)

Here's the holes I had to fix from the (very ham fisted) PO. Timesert worked well. One hole was off center because he drilled into a broken piece of screw and the drill walked and wallered out the hole off center. Ended up taking it to a machine shop, they opened up the casting hole and rewelded it then I used the filter plate as a guide to drill a brand new hole and Timeserted it for good measure. I was lucky it was one of the holes that could be gotten at!!!
I like that the insert sits a little below the surface. Remains to be seen it it's gonna leak...Knock wood!

Attachments

• stripped 1.jpg
    stripped 1.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 120
  • stripped 2.jpg
    stripped 2.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 129
  • stripped fixed.jpg
    stripped fixed.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 128
Back