Rocker shaft oil way hole position?

Dannyh82

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anybody know if the oil flow hole should be close to the oil outlet hole (pic 1) for the cam on the rocker or away from it (pic 2) I have just put them in as near lined up as can be but get the feeling they should not. Not much info about on this. The rocking of the arm will make them off line anyway or in line... the hole goes all the way through.

Attachments

• 20220702_203931.jpg
    20220702_203931.jpg
    279.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220702_203920.jpg
    20220702_203920.jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 64
The recess cut in the shaft allows flow to the rocker no matter where the hole is.
My thinking was the holes are maybe best positioned as pic 1 so as the rocker rocks the holes never line up creating a more constant pressure of oil to shaft and cam follower. Whereas pic 2 the holes will meet during it rocking creating an uneaven pressure.

As per gggGary's reply. Always good to check that the oils ways are clear before reassembly. If a previous owner was liberal with the use of gasket sealant then the excess can find its way into oil lines causing a partial blockage. Blow them all out with air.

Volume of oil flow to the head is regulated by the oriface found in the adapter at the base of the oil feed tube. If you are going to check ONE place that's where to look.
Like Paul a function check for oil flow a good idea. You can loosen one of the two oil feed banjo bolts on top of the head to confirm the head is getting oiled.
Never have a rocker cover open with a running motor...............
Removing the clutch push rod while the motor runs will prove oil flow to the transmission. (in a hurry, LOL).
As per gggGary's reply. Always good to check that the oils ways are clear before reassembly. If a previous owner was liberal with the use of gasket sealant then the excess can find its way into oil lines causing a partial blockage. Blow them all out with air.

Sorry the photo was just for example, this is a whole new engine build from the ground up so all the oil ways are clear. I ended up putting all the shaft pin holes vertical as to me it looked like the oil feed would stay more constant opposed to the holes meeting and distrupting the feed every rock of the rocker being in line with it. Maybe nothing in it but made me feel better that way! I also matched the Rockers to best suited positions.

Attachments

• 20220703_122515.jpg
    20220703_122515.jpg
    605.5 KB · Views: 67
  • VideoCapture_20220703-123024.jpg
    VideoCapture_20220703-123024.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 68
There are certain places where you can be quite liberal with sealant. On your photo which follows I have circled in yellow some spots where you can get annoying slow oil leaks. Its OK to be liberal here because when you torque down the rocker cover you can stick your finger in side and wipe off the excess that squeezes out. Where you have the labels 1,2,3 and 4 I apply a little extra sealant but position the bulk of it more towards the outer edges so the tendency is for the excess to squeeze out rather than in.

Rocker.jpg

As to which sealant to use, I use RTV Red, but many disagree with my choice and prefer the Permatex types or Hylomar Blue. I think Hylomar Blue might be trending as the more popular choice now??? Years ago I always used that varnish type that came in a small glass bottle with a little application mop, but you had to work fast with it. Its all personal choice and you probably have your own favorite, just try to avoid too much getting squeezed inside where the oil is.

Was this vapor blasting that gave you such a nice clean rocker cover? What other modifications/upgrades have you included in your build? I am sure many will be keen to see how your engine and bike progress so please update this thread from time to time if possible.

Good luck.

There are certain places where you can be quite liberal with sealant. On your photo which follows I have circled in yellow some spots where you can get annoying slow oil leaks. Its OK to be liberal here because when you torque down the rocker cover you can stick your finger in side and wipe off the excess that squeezes out. Where you have the labels 1,2,3 and 4 I apply a little extra sealant but position the bulk of it more towards the outer edges so the tendency is for the excess to squeeze out rather than in.

View attachment 217981

As to which sealant to use, I use RTV Red, but many disagree with my choice and prefer the Permatex types or Hylomar Blue. I think Hylomar Blue might be trending as the more popular choice now??? Years ago I always used that varnish type that came in a small glass bottle with a little application mop, but you had to work fast with it. Its all personal choice and you probably have your own favorite, just try to avoid too much getting squeezed inside where the oil is.

Was this vapor blasting that gave you such a nice clean rocker cover? What other modifications/upgrades have you included in your build? I am sure many will be keen to see how your engine and bike progress so please update this thread from time to time if possible.

Good luck.
Thanks for the input, yes the whole casing has been vapour blasted and very well cleaned!! You can follow it all here

Back