Rod Big End Side Clearance

dps650rider

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just got my crankshaft back from being rebuilt and was checking clearances, etc. I found that the big end side clearance on one of the rods was under spec. From the info I have the minimum clearance is 0.0059" but I measured it at 0.004"

Is this a problem?

Can't give you a definitive answer, but my gut says no. .004" metal expansion of the big end.... enough to cause interference between the rod and crank cheeks, is pretty unlikely in my opinion. But that's just an opinion.

The conrod big ends have side slots for oil passage, so don't see an oiling restriction issue there. I can see clearance being an issue for handling particulates in a screen-mesh filtration system. Aren't you running finer paper filtration?

The book specs for flywheel/crankshaft widths are extremely specific, the paramount priority.

Are the crankshaft widths in spec?
If that side was widened by 0.002", would the crankshaft widths be in spec?

http://www.xs650.com/threads/crankshaft-split-overhaul-assembly.31213/

I'm using a paper filter so OK there.

Crank measures a bit narrow, 65.65 for each half and 185.5 overall.
The spec I have is 65.9 to 65.95 for each half and 185.7 to 186 overall.

Would the width be a problem? I put it into a spare case and don't see what it would hurt.

...Crank measures 185.5 overall...
...The spec I have is 186 overall...

OK, about 0.020" short. Let's grind on this.

The crankshaft lateral position is established by the right main ball bearing. That 0.020" shortage would put the bottom sprocket about 0.010" right of center, and have the rotor setting about 0.020" deeper into the left section.

Now, add thermal expansion.

The differential expansion of the aluminum case and the steel crankshaft, from ambient to full hot engine temp, would add up to 0.010" (0.25mm) to the case width.

That 0.020" becomes 0.030".

Enuff room for the sinking rotor?
0.015" offset for the sprocket tolerable?

Just casting seeds here, see whut sprouts.
It's your call...

Last edited:
Thanks 2M. Exactly what I have been thinking except for one thing, if the spec is 185.7 to 186 overall wouldn't the optimal length be 185.85?

I do need the check the alternator (a PMA) clearance but I expect it will be OK. If it isn't it would be easy to remedy.

Yep, and thanks so much 2M for your comments. I wanted to make sure i wasn't overlooking anything.

Got the case split this morning and now checking things out. Interestingly, I had 2 reasons for splitting the case, the walking trans input shaft and a very subtle rod knock. In the crank that was in the bike the rod bottoms and one top are perfect, but the right rod top is marked up a bit. I have a similar situation with another spare crank with same rod bearing damaged. In both cases I believe they would have run like that OK for quite some time as the damage is not severe.

Which makes me wonder why I have 2 cranks with the same issue. Was just checking the oil galleys with water and compressed air and don't see any issues with that but I m going to check some more. Seems to me there was another thread somewhere that mentioned something similar.

No problem with the PMA, lots of room there. Can't see any reason at all why this is not OK. As per my original post the only concern I had was the rod side clearance. Looking at thermal expansion specs for steel the rod would have to get a lot hotter than the crank for the clearance to be affected enough to matter.

Looks like it's a go.

I just ordered some shims to better align the crank just because why not. Going to add 0.015 between the crank and the main ball bearing which will center the crank perfectly.

Peening and fretting in roller bearing assemblies is very common.
In the early XS the small end was also roller bearing. Two chances to "bang the tune up".
The XS is particularly susceptible to over advance as seen in multiple experiences here and elsewhere.
All it takes is just a bit of roller bearing peening and there is no such thing as graceful degradation.

Somewhere on @mrriggs dusty, dark, shelves of prehistoric dementia is/was an attempt at a plain bearing one piece crankshaft. The XS could benefit from a one piece crankshaft but the obstacles are numerous, complicated, and esoteric.

Back on thread. Blow the tune up on a roller bearing engine and the carnage has only just begun.

@gggGary , good catch! I have one more. Reduced back pressure (only time I'll use that term) or different resonance may allow a different pressure differential across the intake valve guide seals.
My alcoholic always puffs on a sharp throttle close, always. A good scavenging exhaust system will always "suck" ,literally. In order to get any lubrication to the intake there is clearance as well as an imperfect valve seal to allow lube. Even that isn't enough. Alcohol requires at least some top lube if not additional light lube in the oil system.

Enough rambling for now :- )

Back