Rookie builder questions. Please Help!

Slacker

still confused
Reaction score
Hey Fellas, I'm a pretty rookie builder and I'm starting my tear down on my 79' XS650 now and wanted to make sure I had some good information before I start getting new parts. I want to make a bare bones electrical system for it. I want to just run a headlight and a tailight; I want to get rid of the points system and put in an electronic ignition; I want to make it kick start only and run the battery eliminator capacitor; and put in a PMA Kit. Everything I've read seems to state that you can only run certain stuff with other certain stuff. Does anyone know if there is any truth to compatibility of any of these items (I realize i'm being vague with brands)? Does anyone know of a wiring harness diagram that fits this profile that I could use?

Welcome to the site slacker. If you haven't already found it look in the xstech section (on the black tool bar) scroll down to the electrial section. The first link is diagrams. You want to look for the simplified schematic.
And yes some things don't mix and match.

Depending on your current needs and any future needs, as we all know change sometimes thru life. Look into the Powerdynamo even if its a bare bones harness for racing(bare bones as you get) or to a curser with multiple light bars the Powerdynamo will work. It's specifically designed for the XS650. You can run it with a battery, without a battery. With or without a capacitor.
It's a crank driven CDI system that is reliable. They have a crank driven rephrased ignition as well.

My point. In my opinion. Building a wiring harness is done after you have the horse in the barn and the wheels greased on the cart. So, understanding what you're going to be using is key, well done.

powerdynamo.jpg

Here is what you are looking for and if you want to make it easy on yourself I do sell harness kits and full harnesses. PM me if you need help.

Attachments

• PMADiagram.jpg
    PMADiagram.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 205
  • spax.jpg
    spax.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 207
You'll get plenty of responses . Some will be more helpful than others . Once you learn which side the kick stand is on even more will help . Now go write an introduction somewhere complete with pics of your obsession (not her , the motorcycle) before the flat earth society takes offence .

Oh , yeah , welcome to the asylum .

~kop

im used to your tonque in cheek responses, but that may read negative to some.
He means no harm. swarmy fellow. I mean, for Christ's sake! who the hell uses AOL anymore? lol

Back