Rotor problems...

YamahaZoot

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Put a 77 rotor in my 83.. heard this is compatible but it won't start now. I started it with the "bad" rotor in it earlier in the day. Then swapped and it wouldn't kick over at all.

If your '83 is using the factory transistor controlled ignition (TCI), then no, the '77 rotor won't work. There's a magnet on the rotor that triggers the ignition.
The '77 used points and didn't have the magnet on the rotor.

Oh... and welcome to the forum.

Get a correctly wound rotor for a good price instead of spending $600+ unnecessarily. That’s quite a big leap for nothing

My old rotor wasn't reading anything when tested.. brushes are new. Has to be the rotor. You suggest just rewinding the rotor instead of upgrading pma/cdi?

A rewind's gonna cost you 115 bucks. If the reg/rec is also bad, you can make your own extremely reliable one for under 40 bucks. Look in the TECH section. There's an article that walks you through making one. Aside from brushes, ain't much else to it. The stator is damn near bullet proof, so you can be all in on a "new" stock charging system for $150 and change.... worst case.

The PMA is over 600 bucks. Do the math. :wink2:

And if you don't know where to get yours re-wound I'm sure someone can suggest a place in Kansas City, Mo!

Back