XS650 Member
Reaction score
My rotor puller stripped out trying to pull my rotor
Now its locked on ? What can I do?

Attachments

• 20190627_181438.jpg
    20190627_181438.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 184
Just go get a better socket, Craftsman, etc. 6-point preferable in this special case but they might be harder to get in good makes. Regular price auto parts stores socket are good these days. Not the ones in the bargain bin though. I'd probably take it off first and put some grease or oil on the threads.

Last edited:
Its locked on I cant move it any direction, I even had to grind two flat spots and use non adjustable wrwrenwand breaker bar and still rounded the flat spots on the bolt,
I even tried to loosen the larger part bit it wont budge either

Do you realize it's impossible for a good 6-point socket that won't expand to round it? Break it off maybe....

You did remove the 17mm nut on the crank shaft before putting on the puller, correct? I ask because I saw someone jam a puller on there and it got all jammed up.

You may need to use a dremel, VERY carefully to cut the puller off of the rotor.

Since the outer puller section is now apparently jammed onto the rotor itself, you may need to make a tool like this- a modified beefed up oil filter wrench that exactly fits the perimeter of the rotor.

Then use a large pipe wrench with good sharp teeth on the cylindrical part of the puller.

That system should break it loose, possibly with help of an assistant.

Attachments

• 20190628_093527.jpg
    20190628_093527.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 131
No matter what you do, be extemely careful as the rotor is indexed on the crank by a woodruff key. Open up the keyway too much and you’ll need a new crank or have to do some machine work.

CBA2D0FB-0EB3-425E-9549-55F5C0AF0128.jpeg

Since the outer puller section is now apparently jammed onto the rotor itself, you may need to make a tool like this- a modified beefed up oil filter wrench that exactly fits the perimeter of the rotor.

Then use a large pipe wrench with good sharp teeth on the cylindrical part of the puller.

That system should break it loose, possibly with help of an assistant.
Actually the pipe wrench on the main body would do it. Seen pipe wrenches in experienced hands do amazing things on pipe. Ought to be about a two foot one or bigger though. I'd dispense with the oil filter wrench....
But...a high-quality 6-point socket will do it and he will eventually need one to get the rotor off anyway (which is the real goal here).
These always turn into a well of good/bad/who knows alternatives.

Get a 6 point deep well socket and a hammer. Hit the end of the puller with the hammer, tighten the puller, repeat. I don't see the problem here, just finish the job with the right tools.

I have to agree here its gotta come off with something. The end part of the puller tool pushes on the end of the crank and pulls that rotor off its kung foo grip on the woodruff key. Pipe wrench or vise grips or something to hold that end or rotate a bit to try to remove and then back off the other section threaded on the rotor.

Ok, so don't believe me about my custom strap wrench........ it doesn't slip, with a cheater bar over the handle if need be. The only way the OP is going to free that puller from the rotor is to completely immobilize the rotor. You want to put all that pipe wrench torque through to the back wheel in gear go ahead.

Ok, so don't believe me about my custom strap wrench........ it doesn't slip, with a cheater bar over the handle if need be. The only way the OP is going to free that puller from the rotor is to completely immobilize the rotor. You want to put all that pipe wrench torque through to the back wheel in gear go ahead.
Ah...you're going to hold the rotor with the strap. That might be okay. The tranny gets some mighty strong forces on it in regular use though.
I have a wrench like a strap wrench, only it's chain and the free part of the chain will hook on at the bottom of the handle and there's a serrated foot there for traction.

That's not my concept of how the puller is used guys. On my Honda's this is how it's done. agreed by most, or everyone I've been in contact with.

Tighten the bolt of the puller, whack it with a hammer, tighten the bolt some more, whack it hard with a hammer, repeat, repeat, repeat until the rotor comes off.

Scott

That's not my concept of how the puller is used guys. On my Honda's this is how it's done. agreed by most, or everyone I've been in contact with.

Tighten the bolt of the puller, whack it with a hammer, tighten the bolt some more, whack it hard with a hammer, repeat, repeat, repeat until the rotor comes off.

Scott

Finally............Someone who actually knows how to use one and give a description on a, "How to"..........all this, straps and sockets and extension bars has nothing to do with removing a rotor with a rotor puller...........

Been watching this thread.........and no one has addressed the issue.....lol.........till now

Back