Rusty's build thread!

Ok guys I know I kinda dropped off the grid for a while but now I'm back! LOL. I haven't been able to work on the bike at all since the semester started being that it is my last one I just had no time. These are pics of the progress I made during the summer and hopefully as soon as school is done I can get it finished up! Hope you like the pics ;)

[/IMG]

Homemade forward controls, what do ya think?
[/IMG]

Rear profile
[/IMG]

Customized rear fender, thanks to my buddy aaron for the help making the chain cut outs so freakin clean!
[/IMG]

Rear caliper set up
[/IMG]

And here is a pic of my 89 soft tail loaded up camping in the everglades ;) for those who might care
[/IMG]

Attachments

• 2010-11-26212223.jpg
    2010-11-26212223.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 0
  • 2010-11-26212353.jpg
    2010-11-26212353.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 2010-11-26212706.jpg
    2010-11-26212706.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 2010-11-26212600.jpg
    2010-11-26212600.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2010-11-26212510.jpg
    2010-11-26212510.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 2010-10-17112247.jpg
    2010-10-17112247.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hey Rusty! Comin' along good brother. Forward controls look nice!:thumbsup: I noticed you kept a front fender. I put one on my bike later in the summer after getting caught in the rain. :eek:I found that a Narrowglide fender fits perfectly with just a little work on the holes. Not trying to be picky, but I really don't like the look of your rear brake stay. Looks awkward. Just trying to give constructive criticism. Is the engine back together for good?

Attachments

• 0830001001a.jpg
    0830001001a.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 251
Hey tech! I love constructive criticism! Especially from someone who I respect their work ;) the brake stay (as in the bar just hanging down) isn't in place yet, its just dangling at the moment. It wil be mounted to the upper rail and hopefully look more streamline. Also might add some speedholes to. I don't really care for the front fender but its going to be a daily driver and I don't want to deal with the water! Lol I will definitely look into the narrow glide fender. But if its gonna be nice out for a while I'll probably pull it off for a while. And I'm hopeing the motor is back together for good and all the bugs are worked out! Any other tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated :D

Aha! No wonder it looked weird. I like the look better without the front fender, but it definitely serves it's purpose. I can tell you, motorcycle tires can move a lot of water! It was actually pretty funny. It was like riding into a hose. Yeah, the Harley fender is a bit smaller and smoother. Mine's an aftermarket piece. It was only $50. What are your plans for the wheels?

Yea man I hear that! My dad has an evo bobber no front fender and I have been caught in the rain on that a few times, its like a mohawk of dirt and water right at ya! But yea they do look way better without it. I think with the wheels, just gonna paint them black then sand the edges to get the 2 toned look to match the motor. Any other suggestions are always taken under consideration though!

Cool. It's looking good. Glad to see that you're taking your time. Sometimes when you go to fast, you make regrettable decisions. Keep it up.

Yea... I tried to go fast but it just didn't work out... Lol first it was just gonna be a rat rod then I found that fender and it totally changed my vision! I think I'm gonna call it DEADLINE because it had missed every dead line I have set for it! But that's how it goes. I'm pretty happy with how it is turning out. Now I just need to get it done and on the rode! I'm ready to ride it!!! Thanks for the words tech! ;)

Lookin' good, brother. It's been a while. Thought you might be dead... or just living in Nebraska. :D

Hey dusty, thinking about doing speedholes in the spokes but I'm gonna hold off on that for now.

TEEBS! Missed ya brother! I have been checkin in on your build while ive been away, its looking sick! Your round bar work is awesome. When I get the bike done and on the road I want to start making some round bar pieces for it like a sissy bar, luggage rack etc. hope i can get my shit to turn out half as good!

Thanks, brother. I'm looking forward to see what you do with the round bar. Your forwards came out great. Very clean. I hope you stick with that color, it looks sharp. Maybe a little gold leaf on it? Nice work so far, man.

Definitely cool to see an HD working for a living. You been shopping at Army surplus? Nice ride.

I see Tech unabashedly pimping his own scoot here. Whore. I guess I don't blame him. I dig the hell out of his paint. He did a nice job on his chop.

Hooligan- all i did was take pieces of threaded rod and bent them at 90 degrees then put on end through the rear motor mounts and the other through the engine stand, with nuts on the end to keep it on there. i did have to rotate the motor mount 45 degrees and drill a new hole through the round part to put the safety pin in, but that was it. pretty damn simple ;) hope that was a somewhat clear explanation!

Teebs- that is the final color and it came out, exactly how i had imagined it! from a rattle can to! Some graphics in gold or silver leaf would look sick on there, but for now it will just be that color. i was thinking about cutting out some scallops for the side out of aluminum but im not sure how it would look... we will see, but that will be down the line, just trying to get it on the road and have the major stuff down right now. i can add the easy cosmetic stuff later :D thanks for the kind words on the forwards, they didnt come out exactly like i wanted, but i am fairly happy with them. i actually just stoked i was able to make my own and make them look half way decent because few people seem to make their own and have them look decent. (maybe it will make up for my sporty tank and TC bros hardtail! lol) and yea i ride the piss out of my softail, we put on about 1,000 miles in around 3 days or so. decent trip, we are talking about doing sturgis in august! and my dad was army for 20 years so i use a lot of surplus shit! lol, it just works plain and simple!

Tech- feel free to pimp your ride on my page all ya want! keeps me motivated! ;) and i dig the chopper underground pic! pretty kool.

Rusty, I am diggin Your bike-especially impressed with the forwards. I dont use them Myself, due to an old back, but great job! it is really coming together! Also like the Black Sabbath T-shirt, that is a collectible, you should send it to Me! haha, btw, My Electra Glide is.....the DIGITAL BITCH. (Rusty will get it) Right on the fender, where it used to say ELECRA GLIDE! LOL "keep away from the Digital Bitch, Shes so rich":thumbsup:

alright boys and girls! finally graduated from college this past saturday! so that means its time to get back in the shop and try and finish this damn thing! BigJimmy hass been keepin on me and now its finally time to get back to it! yesterday i got the rear exhaust mounts ready to go, and the electrics box almost completely ready to go. and spent quite a good bit of time trying to figure out how to put a third brace in the middle of the fender... its not looking like an easy job though... we will see! i will make sure to keep everyone on the up and up over the summer! :D

Back