Salt Flats XS650

cb550

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi every one. New to the list but been playing with bikes since the 60's, mostly building cafe racers and restoring bikes. Thinking seriously about building a bike for the salt now. (Yes I know but if it was easy every one would do it, LOL) Comments, helpful suggestions, loud laughter any one? BTW bike is a 77 XS650 bone stock and barely running now so basically starting from scratch.

A salt flat bike certainly sounds like a worthwhile project to me.:thumbsup: This pic is from the Mike`s XS gallery and billed as a Salt Flats bike but I just can`t see it myself. More on the Cafe side I`d say. Did set a record for a short time though. I see that your new to this site so welcome and check out the talents of fellow site member Signal from New Zealand. If his builds don`t inspire you nothing will.:)
Ryan-Montgomery-Salt-Flat-XS650-2.jpg

Last edited:
A salt flat bike certainly sounds like a worthwhile project to me.:thumbsup: This pic is from the Mike`s XS gallery and billed as a Salt Flats bike but I just can`t see it myself. More on the Cafe side I`d say. I see that your new to this site so welcome and check out the talents of fellow site member Signal from New Zealand. If his builds don`t inspire you nothing will.:)
Ryan-Montgomery-Salt-Flat-XS650-2.jpg

This bike hit 113 mph , running on alcohol. It set a record , running in a 1980 and older class 750 modified running on alternate fuel, that stood for three days before being broken by a Honda 750 that hit 143 mph.

This was an interesting early streamliner. Don Vesco 1969 , ran a twin XS650 engine, twin super chargers, 275 hp,
It hit 175 mph but had stability issues and crashed.

https://nationalmcmuseum.org/featured-bikes/1970-vesco-engineering-yamaha-twin-streamliner/

5771BC21-75DD-42AE-AC75-CB6C852C8188.jpeg
2993D9A8-3FD7-49BF-8B47-8103C82AE7DA.jpeg

• Twin Yamaha OHC XS650 Engines
  • Twin Pepco Superchargers
  • Horsepower: Est: 275
  • Gear Primaries/Chain Final Drive
  • Exhaust: Hooker Headers
  • Full Tubular Steel Frame
  • Wheelbase: 108 Inches
  • Roll Cage
  • Stability Struts
  • Telescopic Fork
  • Swing Arm/Dual Shocks
  • Wheels/Tires: 3.5/22-15″ Cast Magnesium
  • Brakes: Airheart Disk/Parachute

Lots of good stuff here. Right now I'm waiting on the rule book to arrive from Bonneville so I can get a idea what I can do to the bike for what class. May just run the Run What U Brung class just for fun.

Back