Scam going around forums

Details of scam

1. You post in the "Wanted" section that you are looking to buy an item, could be anything.
2. You receive a personal message from a member saying that they know of someone else who is selling that item and suggests you contact then. A name and email address is provided.
3. Basically you then drop this person an email and yes they are selling such an item (lucky you...). A price is agreed and you are asked to pay for it via PayPal friends and family or more likely an anonymous payment method like 'cashapp'.
4. Of course you never receive the item in the post and you have little recourse via the payment provider.

This all sounds pretty obvious but the difference is that the member refers you to someone else who is external to the forum. No doubt one of the same of course.

Note that the forum member who makes contact usually has few posts, and those posts tend to be vague. They send pm's to multiple members posting in the "Wanted" section.

Advice

1. If you get responses to your "Wanted" post then check out the member(s) who respond. Have they been a member a long time ? Do they have a decent number of posts ? You can check out each by clicking on their username.
2. Treat referrals to third parties as very suspicious.
3. We advise that you do not use PayPal friends and family as you have no recourse if it goes belly up. Any anonymous payment methods are asking for trouble.

From the Tiger 800/900 forum

Thanks for the "heads up".
Greatly appreciated.

I got an email too, replied stating didn't know the person purporting to have what I am looking for was selling a bike. I checked out sender but couldn't find any info.
Am in UK anyway so not going to buy from abroad.
Unfortunately these arses put that many emails out I am sure they catch a few.

On a Positive note. Having recently experienced scammers using both my credit card and my PayPal account which were both closed now.
I have continued to both buy and sell XS parts even last week sending and receiving CASH in a envelope and card. :)
Yup Lol Cash in the mail.. from Canada even.
Made it.
XS.com members Motorcyclists continue to look out for each other! and continue to not disappoint in the trusting either. Thank you and
Keep it up ! -RT
:smoke:

Just had a wee think about this and why I was sent an offer 'to contact someone'. They must target people who live a distance away from the fictitious person supposedly selling the items you are after, for example; it was a bike I am looking for, so, any bike within a reasonable distance I am going to want to go and have a look at.
I can understand however, people, not a great distance away from the fictitious seller, wanting to buy and pay for smaller items and have them posted, which may be cheaper rather than have to take time and expense to travel.

It would be very easy to get caught out, and I would imagine we all could get caught out as they seem to be getting more and more sophisticated.

In the UK you usually get a couple of calls a day from ladies and gentlemen with Asian accents telling you Amazon are going to charge you an exorbitant amount for something and to call a number or you have been in a car crash or some other crap.

I did get a call the other day to say my washing machine needed new parts as their system showed it's serial number as one which did, they asked me the name of the washing machine to which I replied 'Helen', my wife was not amused :).

They are all chancing B**t^%*s and I hope they get what is coming to them..... soon!

scammers recently scammed in australia ... the scammers were the australian tax dept ...members of a few aboriginal remote communitys found a loop hole and scammed the tax dept for a estimated 20 million before the tax office realised and closed the loophole , some recieved 80000 while others around 40000 each , most have no money left as went on spending sprees buying flash cars , holidays etc ... seeing almost all were on benifits of around 15000 a yr chances of the tax office getting much money back is slight , the gov doesnt know what to do as a PR minefield if they try to jail them... lol ... makes you feel sorry for the tax office doesnt it

if they let them of does that mean a president has been set........
dont know but can imagine a lot of buck passing and a few arses are being kicked ,,, big question being asked .. why were people on 15k a yr getting a 40-80k tax refund without anybody asking why .. lol ..trouble is the gov cant let it go like with the other stuff ups, like the benifit so called over payments few yrs back BUT if they go ahead with clawing back some of the money , jailing the people involved its a PR nightmare as the aboriginals are some of the poorest and least educated in the country ... theres talk of tracking down the organiser of the scam as he was suppose to get a cut of ea refund ..got a feeling its going to be quiretly swept under the rug ... but i love it .. after all the trouble the tax office has caused for no real reason for a lot of people over the yrs ..

Seriously though. 20 million is a drop in the bucket. the likes of Clive Palmer would be dodging more than that a year and that's only one person.

Seriously though. 20 million is a drop in the bucket. the likes of Clive Palmer would be dodging more than that a year and that's only one person.
yep , but the beurocrates dont like to be brought into the light (like vampires) and a stuff up like this definitly puts the spotlight on them , kind of reminds you of that british tv show YES MINISTER ...dont like scammers but maybe in this case ... mmmmm ....i might just dontate my $1 share of the tax bill .. lol ....:devil::devil::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Interesting, I had an email notification that Hills567 had PM'd me. I went to open his message today and there was nothing there. I did a search on his name and there was no record. Now it makes sense. Thanks for staying vigilant!

Interesting, I had an email notification that Hills567 had PM'd me. I went to open his message today and there was nothing there. I did a search on his name and there was no record. Now it makes sense. Thanks for staying vigilant!
Thanks for the report!
Good to know that when we ban, the Fookr's PM's are deleted also.
To all; PLEASE Report any suspicious PM's. (unless they are from me, LOL)

Yup I had a PM from him as well entitled front and rear hub referencing a wanted ad I placed. Something seemed off and noticed he only had 1 message on here so didn't even open the message. Seems my spidey senses were correct

Just banned hills567

barny.gif

Details of scam

1. You post in the "Wanted" section that you are looking to buy an item, could be anything.
2. You receive a personal message from a member saying that they know of someone else who is selling that item and suggests you contact then. A name and email address is provided.
3. Basically you then drop this person an email and yes they are selling such an item (lucky you...). A price is agreed and you are asked to pay for it via PayPal friends and family or more likely an anonymous payment method like 'cashapp'.
4. Of course you never receive the item in the post and you have little recourse via the payment provider.

This all sounds pretty obvious but the difference is that the member refers you to someone else who is external to the forum. No doubt one of the same of course.

Note that the forum member who makes contact usually has few posts, and those posts tend to be vague. They send pm's to multiple members posting in the "Wanted" section.

Advice

1. If you get responses to your "Wanted" post then check out the member(s) who respond. Have they been a member a long time ? Do they have a decent number of posts ? You can check out each by clicking on their username.
2. Treat referrals to third parties as very suspicious.
3. We advise that you do not use PayPal friends and family as you have no recourse if it goes belly up. Any anonymous payment methods are asking for trouble.

From the Tiger 800/900 forum
Its sad that this scam happens all too often. Please be careful, people. Money is hard to come by!

Back