Wanted - Seat for a 1978 XS Special

Backroader,did you ever think about using an XS650 Standard seat? I will post pics of one on my 78 Special once I can get to the bike (clutter overload). It fits nicely,and has the flat profile that you may be looking for. I think it will fit to the stock mounts,but you will have to modify the latch (I could be wrong here). You can buy a brand new one at mikesxs for about $200 US.

Backroader,I pushed a bunch of crap out the way so I could snap a pic. The seat doesn't have the mounting hardware on it...fits almost perfectly when the hardware is present.

Attachments

• standard seat.jpg
    standard seat.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 249
Thanks Danno..... that looks promissing, I recall reading earlier in this thread that there would have to be some changes made to the hinges though. Once I get the bike home I will have a ton of pictures to post and can discuss this matter in full.

Thanks Travis, I was too lazy to look back..... as I said, once I get a good look at I will get at er!
I had a 1978 XS750 Special and I recall the seat and the prop rod set up. After owning 18 bikes over the past 37 years, one tends to forget details. I do recall the 750 or as we called them, "the three legged dog"...that bike had a poor shift cam and hitting 2nd gear was a crap shoot on a good day.

Thanks Danno..... that looks promissing, I recall reading earlier in this thread that there would have to be some changes made to the hinges though. Once I get the bike home I will have a ton of pictures to post and can discuss this matter in full.

The Standard seat fits to the stock early Special hinges...only the latch will need to be modified.

Back