Seat trim material

arcticXS

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I wanted a seat trim for my Yambits seat, and recently bought one on eBay. Today I removed the studs, and straightened out 1 small dent, and 1 crease. It came out ok. Not 100%, but will look good from 10 ft away. So far so good.
Then i polished it with Autosol, so it looks almost like new.
I was almost sure it was made out of stainless steel, since I never have seen rusty Yamaha seat trim. But when I tried with a magnet, it definitely behaved like normal mild steel/ carbon steel. Now, do any of you know what it is made of?
There are magnetic stainless alloys out there, but the most common 304 and 316 are austenitic, so unmagnetic.

I am with xjwmx on this
Stainless is harder material and difficult to work with and can crack.
It is more expensive. And that is something these big companies has always counted on
If you manufacture many thousands bikes it adds up to a big sum. Design office doing what it can to avoid
I would guess stainless being 2x the cost -- Material and more expensive shop tools.

When working as a tin smith the hands got more cuts from stainless and it was more difficult to cut with a hand scissor.
one can buy polished sheets with a plastic protector film.That is teared off.
Sometimes used as mirrors in Bar s restrooms and so
Used for decoration and when the functionality demands it rust and chemical and food industry.
But as much as possible avoided
The same with copper. the Price ..it is nice to work with but Puhh..hh the cost

Aftermarket then perhaps ..but the same for them

Back